Gibson Brands Forums

Got a Question regarding Epiphone EJ-160E Guitar/ HNGD to me!!

oscardelgato

Greetings Epiphone Guitar Enthusiasts- I just bought a Epiphone EJ-160E recently and I want to know what kind of strings are best for this guitar. It came with regular strings (unknown brand). But I will need to change them out soon. So if anyone out there that can help me with getting the best strings for it would sure help me out. Thanks

If you want to play through an amp due to the magnetic pickup on this guitar you definitely have to use electric guitar strings. I've settled on these two (I play with .11s on my Epi 160):

Pyramid Flatwounds Gold:

I have them on there now. Supposedly these are what The Beatles used on their Gibson 160s. They do give you a good Beatley tone (I swapped out the wound G for a plain G and it gives more of a Beatley sound) and being flatwounds they are easy as hell to play. Expensive, but they really are among the best strings out there and will last literally years.

s-g.JPG

GHS Brite Flats:

These were my favorites on my Epi 160. They are a cross between flatwounds and roundwounds. Though not exactly flatwounds, they play just as smoothly. Plus they are a bit brighter than flatwounds. They also give you a great Beatle tone. More slinky than the Pyramids.

720M.jpg

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post your opinion. Really had a hard time locating most of those strings you suggested. I ended up getting some Martin (12 to 52) type strings, M-2100`s. These were recomended by a friend who owns a Martin guitar and swears by them. So we`ll see what happens when we change them out next week. I will give all the details later. Thanks again everybody. Peace

Strings... well that depends on if you want it to sound good acoustically or have the pickup function properly' date=' cause you can't have both.[/quote']

Musikron

you pre-empted my questions - is it not possible to have the best of both worlds? I presume you'll compromise either sound by trying to find a middle ground? At the minute I have half-decent acoustic strings on mine as I always play it unplugged but I suppose if I wanted to plug it in and still have a plugged in acoustic sound I'd need to chnge the pickup because when plugged in it sounds more like an electric guitar even with acoustic strings on it!

cheers

Dodger

I use Gibson Masterbilt Phosphor Bronze strings on both my Epi EJ 160E and my Gibson J160E Standard, and both sound fine through my amps, and great acoustically. If you want the guitar to sound like an acoustic when it's amplified, try these.

You want to use electric strings when you want the early Beatle's sound, because they (John especially) used the J160E as an electric guitar. She Loves You, Please Please Me, Thank You Girl, From Me To You, etc., are all played on the J160E, miced through an amp. Buffalo and Beatlenut's suggestions are excellent for getting that tone.

I use Gibson L5 strings on my Gibson J160E Peace model. It's a Beatles spec J160E with laminated top and ladder bracing. It sounds thin and dead acoustically (as it should), and just the way you remember the records when you plug it in.

Your EJ160E is closer to the Gibson J160E Standard, which is a modern inerpretation with a solid top and x bracing. So, if you're playing an open mic night, and want a good amplified acoustic tone, try the Masterbuilts. If you want early Beatles electric guitar tones, go with the strings suggested in the posts above, or the L5s, but don't expect the guitar to sound much like a lively acoustic anymore.

Red 333

Currently I'm using Elixir Nanoweb Electric 12-52. They sound most like the Gibson L-5 strings that come on the EJ-160.

I would caution against wasting $24 or more for Pyramid Gold Flat, unless you plan on playing strictly through an amp.

Un-amplified, these strings sound terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having a major volume problem with the EJ-160E? I've tried it on both my new Vox AC15 and Fender Blues Deluxe and have to turn up the volume so high to get sound out of it, that I'm worried if anything goes wrong, with the connection on the guitar, I'll be scraping my brains off the ceiling from the Amps volume.

Thanks!!

Aster

Re: volume problem

I've had two EJ-160s and both of them were, shall we say, cheap on the volume. The first one had just about zero output. The store fixed it (loose wire inside), but the problem came back so I exchanged that 160 for another.

My current EJ-160 sure doesn't knock the walls down with volume, but I don't see it as a problem. I have the volume at 8 and just crank my amp a bit more.

(I know you've been here long enough to know that the guitar requires electric strings for maximum volume, but I'm saying it here for others who may not be aware of that.)

Thanks for the info BN,

I found the GHS Electric Nickel stings to improve the volume some, not much. Plays nice now. Got to teach this guitar the words cuz, humming the tune just don't cut it with me. I'll check on the PUP and see if it can be an issue with connections. Also, may play with some shielding/grounding to help that.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, to do to get the Beatles sound from this git? Also, is the 160 the guitar that John Lennon played the acoustic parts in songs like "Nowhere Man" and "It's only Love" etc? I want to attempt to get that cool sound from whatever I need for equipt. I'll have to spend the rest of my time attempting to play like that.[biggrin]

Thanks again!!!

Aster

Any suggestions on what' date=' if anything, to do to get the Beatles sound from this git? Also, is the 160 the guitar that John Lennon played the acoustic parts in songs like "Nowhere Man" and "It's only Love" etc? I want to attempt to get that cool sound from whatever I need for equipt. [/quote']

Just about any song where you hear John playing an acoustic -- that's a J-160. Even when he got his Martin for the White Album he still made use of his J-160. From "Please Please Me" to the guitar intro on "A Day In The Life" that's all John on his Gibson J-160. Yes, "Nowhere Man" and It's Only Love" (capo at the 5th fret) is John on his 160.

With my Epi EJ-160 I desperately tried to get John's jangly, pingy acoustic sound. When I play it electrified I play it through a VOX AC30 and it can get close to the sound -- no matter what amp you use turn your bass knob on the amp to practically zero and treble up, that's a Beatle acoustic tone.

I mostly play my Epi EJ-160 unplugged and I finally am satisfied that I can produce that Beatle acoustic tone. What it takes is a few things:

- play with electric strings, not acoustic.

- GHS Brite Flats strings...11s. They are almost flatwounds but brighter. I have used the German made Pyramid flatwounds, the strings The Beatles did use, but I find the GHS Brite Flats just zing more. Pyramid flats have that zing, but the bass strings are dull and just thud; the GHS Brite Flat bass strings are more lively. You can get GHS Brite Flats at any online strings dealer. They are cheap and absolutely fantastic strings. I ended up using them on many of my guitars. On the Epi EJ-160 they get you that Beatley acoustic sound.

- plain, unwound G string. This one is major. The unwound G string on the Gibson acoustics and this Epi pings. It isn't fret buzz, just a nice pinging from the bridge. You hear it in tons of Lennon acoustic strumming. Listen to the acoustic intro to "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" and you hear it loud and clear. I put a .018 plain electric G string on my Epi EJ-160 and when you strum open chords you get that fantastic jangly, pingy Beatle sound.

- holding the guitar like John actually helps. You know how John had his acoustic strung very high, almost under his chin? Well, that helps get his sound. With the guitar up that high it forces you to almost chop at the strings and it also forces you to play closer to the bridge for a less bassier sound.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing in getting Lennon's acoustic sound.

Thanks a million!!!

I'll get me some Bright Flats on the way this week. I may take my guitar in to The Lutherie Shop here and have it totally setup and max the playability.

My AC15C1 won't sound exactly like your AC30 but it will just have to do. I'll let you know how I'm doing. Will need some pain cream rubbed on my neck to be able to shoehorn that guitar under my chin like John Lennon played. Tried it once and it will really take some practice but I hear you on how it changes the strum and strike to the strings and bridge playing.

I remember loving the Beatles when I was a kid in the early 60's and still are my favorite group bar none. I like a lot of other music to of course, but they were it for me.

Aster

• 4 months later...

Just a follow up on the warranty repair work on my EJ160E. They replaced the PUP and placed a ground foil under the bridge sting holes that grounded the strings. MUCH better volume & MUCH MUCH better on the hum. Had the guitar set up by the Luither and it plays like a dream. Will try the tricks with the bright flats strings next change out.

Thanks to all with the comments.

Aster

Everytime I read a thread about changing strings, pickups and wanting to play this guitar strickly acousic, I just don't get it? This an electric guitar, made to be played that way. If you want an acoustic / acoustic electric... buy one. There are plenty of fine acousics out there in the $500 dollar range. The EJ-160E is a unique instrument, and should be treated as such. I've owned EJ-160E for the last year or more. I bought it because I wanted this guitar (electric) It sounds like no other guitar (very unique) period. I always have it strung with Pyramid # 411 electric gold Flatwounds. These are the strings Lennon used. Not LIGHTS, they are considered Mediums. Gauges run: .011, .015, .020, .030, .035, .048. Yes, they are $25 a set. They do last quite awhile, every 6 months I change them. Personally, I feel this the guitar is Epiphone's best effort at reproducing John's guitar, and should be respected as such. If you all what something different.... BUY IT! and quit trying to make this unique instrument something it's not meant to be.

Faded....

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess I agree with playing the EJ-160E like an electric. It looks like the EJ has .11's for strings on it. I just had'a have the Gibson 1962 Reissue J-160E that Fuller has made. Got it in, just tried Pyramid Gold Flat's .11s on it and it is buzzing on many of the strings at the 1st fret now. Doesn't help to raise the adjustable bridge either. Fuller said that the guitar just may not take to an .11 string as it was setup for a .12. Anyone know, did The Beatles use .11s in the Pyramids or larger guage?

Oh, and BTW. Have to recommend Strings and Beyond for the service & prices on the Pyramids. Best I could find and NO S&H charges. That alone saves a bunch on the price.

Thanks

Aster

If you want to play through an amp due to the magnetic pickup on this guitar you definitely have to use electric guitar strings. I've settled on these two (I play with .11s on my Epi 160):

Pyramid Flatwounds Gold:

I have them on there now. Supposedly these are what The Beatles used on their Gibson 160s. They do give you a good Beatley tone (I swapped out the wound G for a plain G and it gives more of a Beatley sound) and being flatwounds they are easy as hell to play. Expensive, but they really are among the best strings out there and will last literally years.

s-g.JPG

I have always used Pyramid Golds on my EJ-160E. However, they are a different set than shown above. They are labeled: PG6L PYRAMID #411 - Nickel Flatwound Set - Medium .011 - .048 (.011, .015, .020, .030, .035, .048) Original Pyramid Vintage Flatwounds. My research has shown these as the exact set Lennon used on his Gibson J-160E. IMO, these are the best for the Epi EJ-160E.

Faded...

Well, I guess I agree with playing the EJ-160E like an electric. It looks like the EJ has .11's for strings on it. I just had'a have the Gibson 1962 Reissue J-160E that Fuller has made. Got it in, just tried Pyramid Gold Flat's .11s on it and it is buzzing on many of the strings at the 1st fret now. Doesn't help to raise the adjustable bridge either. Fuller said that the guitar just may not take to an .11 string as it was setup for a .12. Anyone know, did The Beatles use .11s in the Pyramids or larger guage?

Oh, and BTW. Have to recommend Strings and Beyond for the service & prices on the Pyramids. Best I could find and NO S&H charges. That alone saves a bunch on the price.

Thanks

Aster

Your Gibson is set up for 12's. It sounds as if a truss rod tweak to add some relief might eliminate the buzzing.

Red 333

• 4 years later...

Fadedepi. this guitar can be used how ever people deside to use it im not being funny mate but its up to the person who owns ot to use it how ever they wish . so if somebody wants to just put acoustic guitar strings on it and play it like that .then thats there choice. i have desided that pyramids are ok sounding.unplugged played acousticly .but i think round wound nickel wounds sound best when played unplugged.ive never tried my ej160e plugged in much. but im happy to use nickel wounds.played acousticly unplugged and plugged in.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post your opinion. Really had a hard time locating most of those strings you suggested. I ended up getting some Martin (12 to 52) type strings, M-2100`s. These were recomended by a friend who owns a Martin guitar and swears by them. So we`ll see what happens when we change them out next week. I will give all the details later. Thanks again everybody. Peace

Check out Juststrings.com. I purchased a set of Pyramid Gold 10's for $22.00........Amazon wanted $38.00 for the same set of strings!

I would not get too hung up on the Beatles thing. The Epi J-160E is a very different beast than the Gibson Lennon played. Not only is the Epi version built to very different specs than a post-1955 J-160E but there is the difference between a P-90 single coil and a P-100 stacked humbucker. I do not own either the Gibson or Epi version of the 160E but do have a 1950s CF-100E. I have pretty much stuck with 12s on my flattops or medium lights on the oldest instruments without any neck reinforcement. I am a fan of the Newtone Masterclass Nickel strings but also have developed a thing for the D'addario Nickel Bronze (especially on archtops).

(I know you've been here long enough to know that the guitar requires electric strings for maximum volume, but I'm saying it here for others who may not be aware of that.)

Has this been tested and confirmed? My luthier says acoustic strings should be fine, since they are, after all, metal of some sort, which is what that mag pickup is looking for.... unsure.gif

Yes, my EJ160E needs a boost in volume too. I don't think it's because of the strings. There's no internal pre-amp is there?

• 2 weeks later...

Has this been tested and confirmed? My luthier says acoustic strings should be fine, since they are, after all, metal of some sort, which is what that mag pickup is looking for.... unsure.gif

Yes, my EJ160E needs a boost in volume too. I don't think it's because of the strings. There's no internal pre-amp is there?

Well,my main complain about this guitar was the REALLY low volume when plugged...(i think this is due the p-100 pick up).The best way that I found to fix this without spend lot of money was buying a Behringer ADI-21 acoustic amp modeler pedal. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KITQK2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_5wgUuQKdc93nl

Archived