Gibson Brands Forums

"lemon" J45 RW *got it back!*

Andrew

what a rollercoaster....

I've was jonesin' for a guitar like a crackhead, so after work yesterday i grabbed a cab to the guitar store (just made it!) to check out the other j45 rosewood they said they had in stock when i returned my first one on saturday...well, nope it was just a regular j45.

the original guy who sold it to me was there and i told him what happened (took it in to fix a buzz...the tech said it was lemon and told me to exchange it!) they still had the guitar I returned and brought it up...i showed him the buzz, he took a look at it and said yeah it might need a tiny bit of neck relief...they did it...returned it to me, and i played around with it for a bit...the action seemed a teeny bit higher but the tone was great and the buzz was mostly gone (it was on the E and A before....now just the A but only with a sharp pick attack)...the original saleguy played it up and down several times and sure enough no buzz when he played it! (of course)...So, he swears the guitar is fine and my technique had a lot to do with the buzz, plus a little neck relief helped. I gotta say he's probably right.

So i bought her back! (and he said any more problems just return it again...gotta like that service). Played it for a couple hours last night and it sounded heavenly....i can still make it buzz if i try (like i say it only does it now with a sharp attack with a pick on single notes midway on the A string*. But it's not a problem to play a little more carefully around the area where it might happen.

thank god i went back...they had written her off as a lemon, clearly (as many of you suspected) she was not!

He said to bring it back for a free set up and he'll make sure to give it to a certain tech...at this point i may just leave 'well enough' alone!

*I was at another store at lunch yesterday too..i played some martins and taylors..most of which i could make buzz a bit....they seemed to have a little 'tighter' fit and finish than the gibsons which seem a little more rustic... but i swear i can make any guitar buzz. =;

anyway...maybe now i can stop fretting (ha!) about things and just get on with actually playing! yay!!

thanks for all your advice.

=;

AndrewsJ45RW.jpg

Glad your getting it worked out. Unless there are serious problems, a "GOOD" tech should still be able to lower the action a tad and get you going with no buzz. Have you tried medium gauge strings on it? Lighter gauge is more prone to buzz with a sharp attack. Me being a fingerstyle player, I even keep light gauge or med/light gauge on my Advanced Jumbo. I have the action very low but I am not a heavy strummer and play almost exclusively with my fingers unless I am jamming with others. I can "get" my AJ to buzz, but I have to try awful hard.

Keep working with your j-45.... I am sure you will be bonding in no time!

Very minor point here but you might even try different brands of strings without even changing gauge. I'm no database but I've noticed Earthwood strings have a lower tension (and maybe more propensity for buzz?). I buy cheap Chinese strings at about $1.90 a set to put on $30 ebay guitars (just so they have all six when I sell them!) and they have ungodly high tension (less buzz?).

That's completely casting aside the effect higher/lower tension strings will have on the neck relief; I'm speaking only about the size of the string core and it's tension and it's oscillation properties. The smaller the core, the less tension, the higher oscillation, the more chance of buzz. Those strings also have the nicest feel however. Bigger core, higher tension, less buzz, less oscillation, possibly more energy transfer to the top, possibly more volume as a result...?

A .052" string with a large core will have smaller diameter wrap wire and that can have an effect on tone and feel as well. Conversely one with a smaller core will have larger wrap wire and will likely feel and sound different.

Who knows. It is what it is. All's I'm saying is experiment. It took me a long time to get out of the "lightbulb" mindset, in that a lightbulb either works or it doesn't; there's no in-between. That may be true for lightbulbs but it doesn't work with strings. A string can go sour and cause a whole cadray of problems whilst appearing normal. Jeffrey Dahmer "looked" normal too.

Glad it worked out. I knew it was something minor. Also, keep in mind that sometimes buzzing on the middle most strings could indicate a guitar that's a bit dry. Make sure to keep it at the proper humidity level and it may work itself out. Also, like others have already said, medium strings would/should also take care of it.

Glad to hear that Gibson's QC isn't as bad as you initially suggested.

Glad it worked out. I knew it was something minor. Also' date=' keep in mind that sometimes buzzing on the middle most strings could indicate a guitar that's a bit dry. Make sure to keep it at the proper humidity level and it may work itself out. Also, like others have already said, medium strings would/should also take care of it.

Glad to hear that Gibson's QC isn't as bad as you initially suggested. [/quote']

well it wasn't me exactly..i took the techs at their word. but yeah..im glad too.

I think it's very possible you have a fret or two which are a little high. A little bit of leveling is cheap and quick if that is the case. Take your time now, look around and find a really good luthier or guitar tech, someone you can trust. Get it checked out, adjust saddle height, check nut slots, frets level? etc. You will love it even more.

Archived