Gibson Brands Forums

Graphite from pencil as nut lube?

ReneBoedker

Has anybody tried using the pencil lead from a mechanical pencil as nut lube? I suspect that my strings are binding in the nut, as I often hear a "ping-ish" sound when tuning (especially the G- and B-string).

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

I've done it before and it seems to help. I seem to remember taking the mechanical pencil lead, placing it in the slots, and crushing it with my fingernail. It seems to make sense though as graphite nuts are regarded as better than plastic. ALL pencil "lead" is not actually lead (seriously letting children handle lead all day everyday?!) but is actually graphite so any of it should work for you.

I've used soft pencils for over 20 years (used to be standard issue in my guitarcase) Always wondered what to do with those small leftover stumps of pencils?

They're infinitely preferable over fluid lubies which attract dust and dirt and will clog up the grooves of the nut eventually.

I've got short pencils, hate to write with them, perfect for the nut, and they are basically free.

It's the easiest, and cheapest solution - the path of least resistance.

Of course, what is right for me may not be right for you.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

As a violinist and cellist, as well as a guitarist, I have used pencil lead for years on all kinds of nuts!. Nothing really is much better, and as they have said above, the price is right.

If you're getting that nasty "ping" when tuning the slots are too narrow for the string gauge you're using. You can try the graphite (pencils, formauted guitar products, or graphite spray lubes) but I don't think it will solve anything. You really need to have the slots filed correctly. If you have the talent and are willing to buy a set of nut files go for it. If not you would be well advised to seek a professional luthier and have the nut slots filed correctly. It will get rid of the "ping" and make the tuning more stable.

You can also change to narrower gauge strings if you're not addicted to a particular gauge. I don't like to recommend this because string gauge is critical to the tone & feel every player prefers. You'll have to experiment to determine what gauge the slots are cut for. I'm going to guess 9 or 10 gauge regular set (not heavy bottom or "custom" sets).

Good Luck

I'm sure it is a great product but at $19 retail vs >$1 for a pencil...

It's worth it. A tube of it will last the average person years' date=' you use a minuscule amount, so the cost is negligible. Plus you can find it way cheaper if you search around, you can get it on Amazon for around $12.00.

Because it's thick, it stays in place. You can use it upside down, so it works much better on string trees. Adheres better to the sides of the nut slots and bridge saddles.

I also use Guitar Grease from Stewart-MacDonald. It's basically graphite in a paste form, cheaper than Big Bends but not as good. Very messy.

I got a little tube of powdered graphite (has a very fine pinhole dispensing tip) from a hardware store.... a few bucks, have had it for years and it is going to last me many many more. I hate pencils.... why pay for all the extra wood, metal, and rubber (talking standard wood pencils with the metal ring holding the eraser on) when all you really want/need is the graphite ???

Archived