Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual Sheraton II serial #

rjs1981

Hi!

I recently purchased a 3rd Epiphone Sheraton II (i think?) but have had a hard time tracking down the serial number. As shown in the images linked below, it is an earlier model with the "By Gibson" on the headstock. I believe they did this only for a short time when they started making them in Korea?

The guy I purchased it from originally thought it was an 87, then a 71 (which its obviously not), then an 85. To the best of my knowledge, they started making this style in 86?

Anyway, check out the pics. The serial number is 71011985

Click here for pictures

Hi!

I recently purchased a 3rd Epiphone Sheraton II (i think?) but have had a hard time tracking down the serial number. As shown in the images linked below' date=' it is an earlier model with the "By Gibson" on the headstock. I believe they did this only for a short time when they started making them in Korea?

The guy I purchased it from originally thought it was an 87, then a 71 (which its obviously not), then an 85. To the best of my knowledge, they started making this style in 86?

Anyway, check out the pics. The serial number is 71011985

Click here for pictures

The by Gibson Sherrys were 1986 - 1988, maybe into early 1989.

The by Gibson Sherrys were 1986 - 1988' date=' maybe into early 1989.[/quote']

BTW, those very early serial #s on the sticker were random, the numbering system with the factory, year, month, & production # (for example S95061234) began around 1993.

thanks for the input! so do you think it would be safe to assume that this is a 1985 since the final 4 numbers in the serial are "1985"?

No just coincidence, those serial #s are random, don't mean anything. Besides, the first Korean Sherrys were made in 1986.

No just coincidence' date=' those serial #s are random, don't mean anything. Besides, the first Korean Sherrys were made in 1986.[/quote']

ps. i just drooled for 30 mins over your guitar collection shown on myspace. i may actually move into your guitar room with ninja-like skills when you've not looking.

interesting. so' date=' is there any way to actually date this guitar? the guitar dating project site says it's 71, which is clearly wrong.[/quote']

Yeah, 1986 - 1988. In 1989 the by Gibson was dropped from the headstock.

ps. i just drooled for 30 mins over your guitar collection shown on myspace. i may actually move into your guitar room with ninja-like skills when you've not looking.

I'm afraid you'd be disappointed, most of them have been sold in the last couple of years.

...& a crowd of sobbing ninjas is a sad sad sight indeed[crying]!

BTW... I believe that you have just joined an elite Epi-fraternity of 'Epiphone by Gibson' Sheri owners. No action required on your part... They WILL find you:-$

eggmuffins

Archived