Gibson Brands Forums

Sacriledge or custom

Space Pup

Hi everybody!

I bought recently a Vintage Sunbusrt Hummingbird and tood the pickguard off.

Here is a pic of how it is right now.

angieag7.th.jpg

Nevertheless, I'm waiting for the new tortoise pickguard to arrive.

I know it may not be a Hummingbird anymore by then, but I'll be my desired guitar. =D>

Hope I can have your indulgence for this...

Just an innocent question.

If the pickguard is remove from a "classic" sounding guitar like the HB, what effect do you folks think that might have on the tone?

Cosmetrics are all very well but ultimately most of us purchase a guitar to make good "classic "sounds, you want a J200 sound you buy a J200, if a 'bird is needed then it's a bird etc.

So would the removal of said pickguard make the HB sound significantly different

Would the fact that there's no plastic and glue on it create more freedom in the table?

John

If he is after a Bird with no fancy guard, he REALLY should try the Sheryl Crow. Amazing, amazing guitar-I think the thinner guard may even help the tone. Also worth trying is the Elvis Presley Dove-Amazing Dove tone, moody plain looks.

I've mentioned the Sheryl Crow model before but he's set on a Hummingbird. He likes the looks of Elvis Presley dove but the price is a little high for him. I keep telling him to just order a black Hummingbird with a black pickguard and be done with it. Hell, if he doesn't do it before to long, I just might! We'll call it the Black Bird or the Raven. Maybe not a Raven, those things have the most horrible "caw".

Just an innocent question.

If the pickguard is remove from a "classic" sounding guitar like the HB' date=' what effect do you folks think that might have on the tone?

Cosmetrics are all very well but ultimately most of us purchase a guitar to make good "classic "sounds, you want a J200 sound you buy a J200, if a 'bird is needed then it's a bird etc.

So would the removal of said pickguard make the HB sound significantly different

Would the fact that there's no plastic and glue on it create more freedom in the table?

John[/quote']

John, the pickguard on my MC HB was a very thick piece of plastic, so it might have influenced on the tone. I've ordered a thinner tortoise-shell-type pickguard, more similar to the ones used regularty by Gibson.

Regarding the Sheryl Crow model, it was my second option, hadn't I find this gorgeous vintage sunburst HB.

Regards,

AL

John' date=' the pickguard on my MC HB was a very thick piece of plastic, so it might have influenced on the tone. I've ordered a thinner tortoise-shell-type pickguard, more similar to the ones used regularty by Gibson.

Regarding the Sheryl Crow model, it was my second option, hadn't I find this gorgeous vintage sunburst HB.

Regards,

AL[/quote']

Al

Firstly apologies for not acknowledging your answer.

As I say I have a genuine interest here on the basis that I once had a beautiful cedar topped Seagull, small body like a "classical " size, no guard plenty of really cool pick marks.

It was a real candidate for a cheap Williie Nelson look a like!

That guitar SUNG. It outdid a Martin D28 which was around at the time. Unfortuneately some lowlife stole it from a flat we had and I never replaced it.

So as I say my question was meant to be sincere and thank you for answering it as such.

Be interested to hear the results when your new thin line guard goes on?

BR

John

Straying a bit off topic:

Have to agree with you' date=' John, about the Seagulls being sweet guitars. Mine's a spruce top and everybody whose played it has been amazed at how little I paid for it considering the sound it puts out..

Cheers,

Les[/quote']

Funny little headstock as I remember it Les, very minimalist!

I had a 12 string J45 size as well that got pinched in the same burgulary, think that had a spruce top from memory!

I agree great value and great sound, Heaven knows why I don't buy another little one!

In fact I will set my radar!

• 4 weeks later...

I got a call from my friend over the weekend and he has solved his delemma. He picked up a used 2005 Sheryl Crow in a PA pawn shop for $1,000 and loves it. He told me it has a little buckle rash on the back and the pickup has been deactivated...and by that I mean the original owner had cut all the wiring out. The pick up, battery holder, and plug in tail piece are still there, just no wires.

He did mention that he would like to change the tuners. Any suggestions for tuners that will fit without any modifications?

Sacriledge would indicate an implied worship. I personally don't believe in worshiping guit tars. However, It's your friend's guit tar so he may do with it as he will, short of destroying it. At which point we will send the Crusaders to whup the brimstone and fire into him.

Or... your friend can resign himself to the fact that guit tars have a female spirit and the Dove or Hummingbird bespeaks that female spirit. Would he rather have a female up close and personal? or a male?.. The choice is his.

Archived