Gibson Brands Forums

How many LP's have been produced since it was introduced in 52 ?

3dmac

As I posted over there, over 40,000 were produced between 1952 and 1960, including Juniors, Specials, Standards, and Customs.

I think that any numbers for LPs produced after that period are going to be very hard to come by.

Based on the numbers of LP Juniors produced in that early period, I have to think that there are hundreds of them collecting dust in attics all over America.

By now, millions. I used one book and did a rough total of just LP Customs between 1970 and 1980 (I think), and it was over 100,000 Customs in just that period, and the last totals that they had listed ended over 20 years ago, so you do the math. For some reason a number of about 32,000, is sticking in my head for all 50's LPs. The total for 58-60 Bursts is something like 1726. I would have to check on the LPF for more precise numbers. After the early 80's production numbers stop. But you can make some rough guesses. It is not unusual to see Classic serial numbers in the 6000-7000 range and they have been made since the late 80's. The reissues usually seem to run between the 1000 to 3500 range, and that is the 'historic format numbers' so post 94. Even the 'guitar of the week' program was huge. I think they did 400 of each model over 52 weeks

Well I found the 1952-1960 shipping totals, and you are right Zaphod 40,529 by my count using http://www.provide.net/~cfh/shippin4.html I would have to get out '50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul' and add up the shipping totals listed in it for 1968 to 1980 (I think). Gibson's totals are not available after about that point, and even the ones listed do not include a lot of the Nashville made guitars at the time. As I said I have done a total for just Customs using that book, and the total for that period was over 100,000 Customs alone. So then you have to guess at about 27 years of a lot of different different models, a lot of them more popular than the Custom. The shipping totals for 58 and 59 Les Pauls and 1960 Standards (the name Standard was first used in 1960, it has been retroactively applied by modern literature to those with burst finishes from 58 and 59) is only 1712 total, of those a few were Gold Tops.

Archived