Gibson Brands Forums

Know anything about this Samick Les Paul Custom?

truetone6

I got this Samick at my local stor for $250. Is Samick the same company the makes(made) Epiphones in Korea for

Gibson ? Any idea when this guitar was made? Thanks for any info.

Yes, Samick made Epiphone Les Pauls in the late '80s into the '90s. Around 1993, Epiphone expanded and used several manufactures in Korea. Samick presently runs a large factory in Indonesia, and still makes some guitars for Epiphone (as far as I know).

Samick stopped using the Samick brand around 1999 at which time they adopted the Greg Bennett brand name. So this guitar would be pre-1999, and judging by the general appearance, I would guess early '90s. Specifically, the tuners look like the tuners found on the early Samick made Epiphones.

Samicks are well made guitars, $250 seems like a good price. Nice find, you'd pay more for the Epiphone equivalent.

Good luck & enjoy the guitar.

+1 on everyone's comments so far.

That guitar is very nice. Recently I purchased a 70's-80's"Memphis" black lp custom copy that looked just like that and it played excellent. I put a Gibson 500T in the bridge, the stock neck pickup was a good match. The guitar was a bolt-on, which never really bothers me anyway, bolt-ons were good enough for Jimi, Gilmour, Beck, Blackmore,ect.... but for a lp I do prefer a set-neck because lp's already have limited access to the upper frets and every little bit helps.

I had a 1970's Ventura (Bruno) SG copy that had such an incredible sound here in my home, they are great because many of the 70's copies have an unpotted single-coil in a humbucker cover For cost-cutting), so a desired feedback was very easy to acheive with that particular guitar. It really gave the impression that I was playing a live show in an auditorium even at low-volume. Sold that guitar years ago and never found another one that would do that exactly the same way.

Looks like I'll have to search for another Ventura.

btw, they made some incredible acoustic guitars, especially the higher-end ones..that were still inexpensive in comparison to the models they were copying. Don't confuse these with the fairly new "Ventura" company that also makes guitars, not the same Ventura.

Nice guitar you got there. I liked all the Samick guitars I've had in the past.

Thanks for the posts! I found the japanese webpage with info and photos of the Samick Les Paul Custom(Link) I remember seeing this webpage a couple of years ago.That is why I had to get it when I saw it at my friends shop.

samick-lpc-top1.jpg

My Samick

samick-1.jpg

I found the Samick link on this geocities fan page of cool japanese and asian copy guitars (Link)

One difference I noticed is that my Samick has a different logo on the headstock

samick-19-1.jpg100_9191-1-1-1.jpg

Pre-Bennett Samick.

it looks so cool

There is a place called Woodies in Rock Hill that has a couple of the more recent ones and though they are nice' date=' they still feel completely 'Epiphone'.[/quote']

Thanks!Seem like there were at least 4 versions of the Pre-Bennett Samick Les Paul.

samick-lpc-top3-1-1.jpg100_9186-1-2-1-1.jpg

samick-1-1.jpg25yxiit-1-1.jpg

-Yours is one of the older ones. The bottom right hand pic is one of the latest models before they brought out the Bennett series. What I was told by the owner of the local Samick dealer I used to frequent is that Gibby/Epi asked Samick to change their design a little. Even though they were making the same guitar for Epi, the Samick version was starting to out sell the Epi version so they flattened out the cutaway. This of course is unconfirmed, but I've known the guy for years and he isn't what you would call a B.S. artist. But personally I have never seen the headstock like the first pic before.

L8R,

Matt

• 2 years later...

Hello new here,

I just wanted to state that the older script logo on the headstock is the 2nd version of the guitar,

maybe around 89 - 90, the 1st prototype had the same script writing, but had the logo "The Samick" as in my pic.

i have had this guitar since the late 80's, acquired in a mom and pop shop in Kentucky on a trade in even up.

this has to be one of the best playing LP's i have ever put my hands on. supper thin neck, nice fret work, and great finish.

although the hardware, and pickups are little to be desired, but with original Gibson replacement parts, you got a winner.

I call this my Samich

42608726325000584891549.th.jpg

33503426324673776729092.th.jpg

Your headstock logo is the same as the logo on my 1992 Samick HJ-650 (L5 copy). So your's is from around that era. It seems they changed their logo design every few years. You've probably got a pretty decent guitar there.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys, 

Late to the party here being mid 2021 but I'm seeking some additional info on a guitar I just purchased.

I pulled the trigger on a 1989 Samick LCRG-403 Silverburst, it's a time capsule guitar that was played for approx 2 years (89&90) then stored away for 28 years. It is in near perfect condition aside from some tarnishing on the bridge and pickups. The previous owner inherited it and could only provide a few details. 

There is really limited info about these so I'm thinking they might be quite rare, it has the script logo and is the 3 humbucker version. I can litterally only find one photo on it, can anyone provide more info on this beyond the Samick Wiki page? I'd love to know how many of these were produced, even roughly and even a price point for something like this? 

It arrives mid next week so I can upload photos if anyone is interested.

I look foward to a response,

Cheers,

Ben