Gibson Brands Forums

Non-reverse body Thunderbird question

claireyface

I own a non-reverse body Epiphone Thunderbird and was recently told that it's rare. I'd noticed it was different to any other Thunderbird I had ever seen so I was searching on ebay to see how much it might sell for (not that I would ever sell it... EVER) and have come to the following conclusion: it's worth buttons.

Surely this isn't right? My friend told me that mine is a 1996 non-reverse body epiphone thunderbird, that the model was made for one year only and that it's rare and a lot of people are after them.... was he talking crap? Because it's not just him... the internet supports this theory.

Mine has different pick ups than the one I'm about to link you to but I'm so confused. Everything else as far as I can see is the same. Finish, neck, the works. ANY information you guys have about what my bass is / the validity of what I have heard about it being rare would be appreciated. I didn't really know where else to go. I saw a post here after googling by a guy with a non-reverse in a different colour so thought you lovely people might know. I don't care what she's worth as I'd never part with mine but I wasn't expecting this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Thunderbird-Reverse-guitar-/320557909386?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa2bd858a#ht_500wt_1154

I'm doubting what I've been told after seeing it. From the photos this one looks in pretty good nick - mine is sadly chipped slightly at the back and and has some sticker marks from the last owner. (Any tips for getting that sticky stuff off damage-free by the way?) So if it's in better nick than mine and is being sold for £75 or whatever... I don't know where that leaves me. How much can a wee ding in the back knock the worth of your bass? It's quite superficial.

Sorry for rambling... it's 4am. To sum up: Is my bass actually rare? Have I been misinformed? Or is that seller just not aware of what they are selling?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you so much. I will do that! I searched this site a bit more and found out how to identify it from the serial number.

Here's what it came back with:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

September 1995

Production Number: 0460

So if anyone knows anything about 'em, do get in touch.

Be sure and talk to Forum Member 'eggmuffins'. He's got one too. Seems to know quite a bit about it.

Thanks Hungry... CF PMed me!

...& the guy selling one of these for 75 quid is a bonehead.

...Makes me wish I was back in the UK... which' date=' ironically, I was in 1995/96[biggrin']

Archived