Gibson Brands Forums

Got My First Guitar Today..

Hawnted

Hello, I am new here. I got my first ever guitar today. It is a used, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Mahogany Worn Cherry guitar.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Humbuckers this guitar has? Some sites say 650r/700t some sites say Alnico Classic.

Also, this is (I am assuming) an all Mahogany guitar. How does this affect the sound as opposed to the Mahogany with a Maple top?

What would be a good beginner amp to pair with this guitar? (one that would produce some clean sounds).

How does this compare to a regular Epi LP standard?

Sorry for all the questions, I am brand new to guitars and do not know much about them except what I have been researching the last few months.

I will have to take a new pic as it seems my went away...but it looks like this:

P1010001.jpg

Thanks

Hello' date=' I am new here. I got my first ever guitar today. It is a used, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Mahogany Worn Cherry guitar.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Humbuckers this guitar has? Some sites say 650r/700t some sites say Alnico Classic.

Also, this is (I am assuming) an all Mahogany guitar. How does this affect the sound as opposed to the Mahogany with a Maple top?

What would be a good beginner amp to pair with this guitar? (one that would produce some clean sounds).

How does this compare to a regular Epi LP standard?

Sorry for all the questions, I am brand new to guitars and do not know much about them except what I have been researching the last few months.

By the way, here is a pic:

[img']http://used.guitarcenter.com/images/products/105891881_lg.jpg[/img]

Thanks

I believe the 650r/700t are the new names for their humbuckers. I don't think they're different from the Alnico Classics. The mahogany body will produce a warmer tone than a maple capped guitar. That guitar is like a "studio" version of a Standard - meaning it's got the same electronics/wood but without the fancy top.

Seriously - grab a Fender Frontman 25R. Fantastic practice amp, even for someone that's played for years. Nice clean, rockin' distortion (surprisingly). And loud. Fun amp!

That depends on the kind of tone you want. Just keep in mind that an amp will make up 95% of your tone.

For an amp, I highly recommend the Orange Crush series, they have fantastic tone.

Roland's Cube series are also fantastic value and have great cleans (and drive, and distortion, and effects [lol]).

I've found 2 sites that spec the pickups as being

650R (neck) and 700T (Bridge). These have CERAMIC

MAGNETS vice METAL magnets in the Alnico Classic pups.

I have the same 650/700 pups in my Epi Special II, not a thing wrong

with the tone, still produce lots of crunch and all the pinch harmonics

I could want.

As you are a new git player, don't start worrying about the

"Gotta Replace My Pickups" desire. Just focus on the playing

and learning. The Ceramic Mag Pups will carry you to where you

WANT to go. The AMP also makes a big Diff on tone. I have a

Fender Frontman 212 100W, and a Marshall MG15 15W for just

plinking around. Tone-wise, forget the Marshall, it's a bit limited,

makes CLEAN, makes varying levels of distortion. Listen to the

other folks suggestions for that.

Congrats on the NEW guitar AND Welcome to the Forum!!!

the-day-the-earth-stood-still.jpg

Congats Hawnted,

Apart from getting a sweet geet, you just acquired what might very well prove one of the best memories of your life!

Keep us posted with your progress.

Uh-oh, looks like your pic went away. Sooooo.....

311881600.jpg

1111.jpg

P1010001.jpg

SATIN/WORN finish, then? Beautiful Guitar! It's either super-limited in

production runs OR very popular, every site I hit says it's not available

at this time. [lol][confused] [confused]

As it is a SATIN finish, do not EVER, EVER put Guitar Polish on

it!!! ONLY clean it using a REAL, Lambskin/Leather CHAMIOS

like you get at an Auto Parts store. The smallest size is about

2 square feet and is not expensive. The real Chamios will NOT

scratch the finish, and will rub/buff out most of the smudges. For

the harder smudges, just a dab of water from a wet kleenex, then

buff off. Done! Been using Chamios on my "Worn Brown LP Studio for 2 years:

100_0587.jpg

634126945531832195-ApocalypticWedgi.jpg

I called epiphone for a 3rd time. The first 2 reps said they had no idea what electronics it had. However' date=' I just spoke to a 3rd rep that seems to think those sites are wrong, and that it has Alnico Classic Humbuckers.[/quote']

Ok, the SUREFIRE way to know is: At your next string change,

remove the 4 pup ring screws for each pickup, gently lift and

turn over, then record what the sticker on the bottom of the

pickups says. THEN post it, and we can ID WHAT it is.

Might say something like: "HOTCH(G), 57CH(G), G-400, LP Classic,

etc...". This will eliminate ALL doubt!!!

:- :- :-

Congrats, very nice guitar.

As for the amp, a very inexpensive Fender amp that will serve you well for many years would be the Super Champ XD. I understand that new they $300, but you should be able to pick up a used SCXD from CL for about $200.

Go to a store and have a s..t load of fun trying out the different amps. good luck

Welcome, and congratulations on the great guitar!

First guitar huh?

Well if you're like me you will 5 more in three years.

Hang around here and it's bound to happen.

That really is a beautiful guitar! I'm also new in the Les Paul area and I picked up a Peavey Vypyr 30watt to go with my Ebony Standard and I'm quite pleased with it. Great clean sound when I want it and lots of effects when I want to mess around a bit. I know that a lot of people don't like them, or any modeling amp, but I'm enjoying mine. A few of my guitar playing friends have tried it out and were impressed with the sound. Sure it's not perfect, but what do you want for around 200 bucks?

I love the Mahogany LP. It has such an elegant, unassuming look to it. For a first guitar you have done yourself proud! Congratulations!

You really need to take your guitar to a music store and try different amps out. And not just ones in your price range, but more expensive ones as well. Listen to everything. Look at all the features, and decide what you need for yourself.

Good luck and rock on!

Sheila

You gots good taste my friend-

welcome to the nut-house

As Sheila suggested, take your baby to the local store, and check them all out. Might not be able to afford today what sounds really awesome, but having an idea is a great motivation for saving. Her and I both have a Fender 25R which does just fine for me, but I don't gig, or play very loud. Just your basic practice amp, but nice sound, and crunchy if you push hard enough.

HNGD [confused]

It IS very NICE! WE did some checking and found out that his

FIRST guitar was REALLY this one:

06199.jpg

[confused] :- :-

3 strings huh!

Now, just maybe, I could get my head around that???

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Well I am taking informal lessons/direction from a co-worker of mine. She has been playing for 30 years and is helping me get started. She actually sold me a VOX Valvetronix VT30 for $50. She has 5 amps and did not need it. Just bought it to try out the modeling. So, that should get me going anyway.

Is justinguitar.com a good source for learning? I have been making my way through his beginner course and I am enjoying it so far.

Welcome and nice guitar. Funnily enough, I was playing around with that exact guitar in the store earlier today. Even though I only messed around with it for a few minutes it felt really really good.

As for amps, the new Orange Crush PiX series are decent and I quite like mine but I recently grabbed a Traynor Dynagain DG15R as a second amp and I actually like it better than the Orange which was unexpected. If they are available where you are look for one as they are great little amps.

ETA: Sorry, just noticed your comment about the amp you got.

Is justinguitar.com a good source for learning? I have been making my way through his beginner course and I am enjoying it so far.

Yeah' date=' it is pretty decent.

You should try to grab the [i']Learn and Master Guitar[/i] course as it is very very good and quite thorough.

Archived