Gibson Brands Forums

how to remove rhythm / treble ring?

tpurgatoryt

Hey, tpurgatoryt. Here's how it works on my Les Paul guitars.

1. Center the toggle switch (put it in the "both pickups" position).

2. Using a pair of pliers (preferably slip joint pliers, the most common type), gently turn the metal mounting ring around the base of the part of the switch that shows in a counter-clockwise direction.

3. Lift off the mounting ring and then lift off the "Rhythm/Treble" ring. The latter may have some adhesive on it. If so, try working a fingernail around the edge of it while lifting gently. Don't take anything metal to it as you may scratch the finish underneath it.

4. When reinstalling the threaded metal mounting ring, make sure the direction of travel of the switch itself (from neck pickup selection to bridge pickup selection) is how you want it to work. If not, loosen the ring a bit, gently twist the toggle portion of the switch to reposition it, then re-tighten the ring gently. Don't over-tighten it or you may crack the finish.

OAG

3. Lift off the mounting ring and then lift off the "Rhythm/Treble" ring. The latter may have some adhesive on it. If so' date=' try working a fingernail around the edge of it while lifting gently. Don't take anything metal to it as you may scratch the finish underneath it.

[/quote']

I use Dental Floss as a "saw"! Just work it back and forth while

pulling torward yourself! TAA-DAH, you've just "flossed your git!

[lol]

tpurgatoryt,

I'm thinking that with the advise above you have it figured out.

If you deside to put one back on I like animalfarm's idea....unles you are into heavy metal.

If that is the case you might want to go with the RHYTHM-TREMBLE option.

Tremble-1.jpg

Willy

• 2 years later...

a drop of isopropyl alcohol applied to the inside edge of the ring (with the selector removed) will seep into the gap and soften the adhesive substantially, where any tiny piece of dirt, or grit stuck to dental floss WILL make a real mess of your laquer without you seeing until it's too late.

Archived