• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

700T/650R specs?

#1 User is offline   olds_cool63 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hey, gang.

Well, I'm thinking of moddding the ol' LP-100, which is still kind of brand new.

I'm thinking of putting in a preamp so I can shape my tone (distortion, overdirve, etc..) on the fly. I also want the ability to coil tap, so I'm thinking of hotter pups.

My question is, does anyone know the specs on the stock 700T/650R pups (how they are wound, resistance, etc)?

Couldn't find anything on the Gibson website, so if you know the facts, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I guitar, therefore I am!

#2 User is offline   Whitmore Willy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Paruwi,

Great links. I was looking for the 2nd one. Thanks.

Olds-Cool,

I just checked a set that I took out of a L.P. special. As Paruwi"s link indicates, the set I just measured
showed:
650 R = 12.1K Ohm
700 T = 16.9K Ohm

They are a single wire pup ( 1 Positive/ 1 Ground) so I don't think you can coil tap/split.

Willy

#3 User is offline   olds_cool63 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info, Paruwi...man, that was quick!

Yeah, Whitmore Willy, I know...I'd have to put in new pots if I wanna split. Forgot to mention that. Just wanna doa little hot-roddin'...ya dig? See how far I can take my LP-100...should be interesting.

I knew the stock pups were good, just didn't realize how good!

But, here's a stupid question: why do they (Gibson) claim them as alnico's when the description says the magnets are ceramic? Am I missing something? [confused]
Nuff said.

olds_cool63

#4 User is offline   antwhi2001 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:16 AM

I think Willy was trying to tell you that 2-wire pups can't be coil tapped, unless you plan to break into the wiring, which is not recommended.

For coil tapping you need a 4-wire pup, which has seperate leads for each coil.
Epi G400 / Gibson Les Paul faded doublecut with P90s, 2004 / Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite, 2013 / Fender Tele standard 2006 / Fender Tele Thinline JA-90, 2013/ Squier Japanese Strat with 2x Kinman noiseless and 1x Kent Armstrong humbucker, 1986 / Arbiter Matsumoko Flying V, late 1970s / Boss GT-10 multiFX / Area 51 Wah / Tech 21 PE60 cab / Laney EA65 combo

[/b][/size][/size][/size][/size]

#5 User is offline   olds_cool63 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

I think Willy was trying to tell you that 2-wire pups can't be coil tapped, unless you plan to break into the wiring, which is not recommended.

For coil tapping you need a 4-wire pup, which has seperate leads for each coil.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm looking at 4 wire pups over at GuitarFetish and push/pull pots.

I wanted the specs on the stock pups because I want to make sure I was getting something hotter. The stock pups can go into a guitar I'm gonna build.
Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users