Gibson Brands Forums

700T/650R specs?

olds_cool63

Hey, gang.

Well, I'm thinking of moddding the ol' LP-100, which is still kind of brand new.

I'm thinking of putting in a preamp so I can shape my tone (distortion, overdirve, etc..) on the fly. I also want the ability to coil tap, so I'm thinking of hotter pups.

My question is, does anyone know the specs on the stock 700T/650R pups (how they are wound, resistance, etc)?

Couldn't find anything on the Gibson website, so if you know the facts, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Paruwi,

Great links. I was looking for the 2nd one. Thanks.

Olds-Cool,

I just checked a set that I took out of a L.P. special. As Paruwi"s link indicates, the set I just measured

showed:

650 R = 12.1K Ohm

700 T = 16.9K Ohm

They are a single wire pup ( 1 Positive/ 1 Ground) so I don't think you can coil tap/split.

Willy

Thanks for the info, Paruwi...man, that was quick!

Yeah, Whitmore Willy, I know...I'd have to put in new pots if I wanna split. Forgot to mention that. Just wanna doa little hot-roddin'...ya dig? See how far I can take my LP-100...should be interesting.

I knew the stock pups were good, just didn't realize how good!

But, here's a stupid question: why do they (Gibson) claim them as alnico's when the description says the magnets are ceramic? Am I missing something? [confused]

I think Willy was trying to tell you that 2-wire pups can't be coil tapped' date=' unless you plan to break into the wiring, which is not recommended.

For coil tapping you need a 4-wire pup, which has seperate leads for each coil.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm looking at 4 wire pups over at GuitarFetish and push/pull pots.

I wanted the specs on the stock pups because I want to make sure I was getting something hotter. The stock pups can go into a guitar I'm gonna build.

Archived