Gibson Brands Forums

Eb tuning

trinity

Is there anyone monitoring this list that can explain how the Eb tuning works on the TT3? It would be hard to do on the TT2, since the notch would have to be extremely close to the center notch. I'm just curious how easy/precise it is to lock in Eb on the TT3.

Hey Trinity,

The design of the new TT3 is completely different from the design of the original TT2. The way the new tremolo locks into the various half-step positions as well as the design and shape of the locking mechanism are not like the older TT2. Also - the locking notches on the new TT3 jaw are quite large compared to the tiny notches of the TT2. They also have a wide opening so that you can kind of "slide" into each position. It's easy to get a feel for the 5 half-step positions very quickly. In other words, it's a lot more tolerant.

Steinberger

I saw the video that was posted and it looked like the trem was moved to pitch and then 'jiggled' somehow into a locking position. It did look like it was 'slid' into position, as you described it. I could tell it was much different than a TT2, but I could not really get a feel for the mechanism by just watching the video. I wish I could hold one to get a better sense of the tactile feel of the trem. I have a blue one on order, so I guess I'll find out in a month or so. [biggrin]

One more question, is it possible to replace the 'notched' part of the trem for other configurations or was this dropped in the final design? I remember reading early on that it might be possible to have pre-made arms with different locking pitches (or maybe even no notches - no locking). I'm sure this would not happen for a while if it is possible, I'm just curious if the design still allows for it.

Thanks for the reply!

Trinity,

Happy to hear you've got a new ZT3 on order. Regarding locking arm variations, it's conceivable that you could use various arms to allow for various pitch locations but we have yet to specifically design or experiment with that yet. Let's get this version out first and then we'll see...

Thanks!

Steinberger

Archived