Gibson Brands Forums

ZT3 Wiring Please...

Algis

Hello

I have just got my new ZT3.

There are two unpleasant issues with it (or it might be just my ignorance).

1. When plugged, it did not show the promised versatility in terms of sound which was supposed to be due to its 9 possible pick ups & push-pulls positions. With a closer look I learned that the neck PU was ALWAYS operational, even with the PU select switch DOWN, where it is supposed to be switched off. I mean, there was no way to have only the bridge PU working, the neck PU was always plugged, either parallel or in series, depending on the volume push pull. It was easily confirmed by tapping slightly on the neck PU with a metal hex screw... On the other hand, the bridge PU was quite predictable: it was completely shut silent each time the switch was all the way up.

I think a wiring mistake was made in the factory.

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH THE RIGHT WIRING DIAGRAM ON THE ZT3???

I will try to make things work myself.

2. For some reason the Trans Trem transposes only 1 step up, to F. There's no F#. And vice versa, there is one more "bonus" step down, the whole 3 steps, from the center E to C#.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reading this.

Algis

Hey Algis,

If you will provide me with your email address I will send you the wiring diagram.

Concerning the transposing issue. I would try to lock the trem in the center position and tune to E. You should be able to move two half steps in each direction. This should give you F# and D at the extremes.

Best Regards,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

thank you, everything was solved in just 4 or 5 hours after I wrote this. I guess I should have removed this post...

The problem with the wiring was that somebody in S. Korea (or was it North K?) attached one of the wires to the wrong point... just as I thought or rather hoped to be.

Concerning the transposing issue. I would try to lock the trem in the center position and tune to E. You should be able to move two half steps in each direction. This should give you F# and D at the extremes.

The thing is (at least it was in my case) that after changing the gauge from factory set 0,010 to 0,009, and adjusting spring tension the TT spring was sort of 'not where it was supposed to be'. After winding it up 'blindly' somewhere to the centre of it's operational bay I solved the problem. This thing sort of 'floats' in a sense... I mean, when the spring is in wrong tension, you may have your tuning locked in a wrong 'slot' and therefore make wrong tuning to counter the whole thing. You may have well tuned guitar in wrong position TT-wise. That's why you may have only a half-step down (and whole-and-a-half step up!!!. I guess, the vice versa might also be possible). Exactly what happened to me after changing strings to a lighter gauge.

On the other hand, one could benefit from this and Steinberger could mention such possibility in TT adjusting as a bonus... I mean, if you never really bend the trem up or you only need a half step up, you can have whole four or three semitones down.

Thank you Richard, I don't need the wiring diagram any more.

I think this thread might stay for someone can benefit from its "transposing issue".

If anyone would like to share their thoughts about the ZT3, please write me algis@lnk.lt

I own this thing for some time now and I guess I can offer something to share...

Good luck

Algis

• 3 years later...

Hi Richard,

thank you, everything was solved in just 4 or 5 hours after I wrote this. I guess I should have removed this post...

The problem with the wiring was that somebody in S. Korea (or was it North K?) attached one of the wires to the wrong point... just as I thought or rather hoped to be.

The thing is (at least it was in my case) that after changing the gauge from factory set 0,010 to 0,009, and adjusting spring tension the TT spring was sort of 'not where it was supposed to be'. After winding it up 'blindly' somewhere to the centre of it's operational bay I solved the problem. This thing sort of 'floats' in a sense... I mean, when the spring is in wrong tension, you may have your tuning locked in a wrong 'slot' and therefore make wrong tuning to counter the whole thing. You may have well tuned guitar in wrong position TT-wise. That's why you may have only a half-step down (and whole-and-a-half step up!!!. I guess, the vice versa might also be possible). Exactly what happened to me after changing strings to a lighter gauge.

On the other hand, one could benefit from this and Steinberger could mention such possibility in TT adjusting as a bonus... I mean, if you never really bend the trem up or you only need a half step up, you can have whole four or three semitones down.

Thank you Richard, I don't need the wiring diagram any more.

I think this thread might stay for someone can benefit from its "transposing issue".

If anyone would like to share their thoughts about the ZT3, please write me algis@lnk.lt

I own this thing for some time now and I guess I can offer something to share...

Good luck

Algis

Hi,

I have the same problem with the volume and tone, does anybody know how to get the wiring diagram?

Archived