Gibson Brands Forums

Installing Active Pickups Into A Spirit GT Pro Deluxe?

adoxtater

Hi guys!

I am getting ready to purchase the "boat oar" style Steinberger GT Pro Deluxe and was looking for replacement pickups for it to purchase at the same time. My big question is this: Can active circuitry be retrofitted into this body? It's awfully small and I wonder if there is room for the battery? Anyone tried this yet? I'm considering either installing a set of EMG 81/85 or Seymour Duncan Mustaine Live Wires. Anyway, both require a battery (or is it two??) so I don't want to purchase something that won't fit. Hard to do sight unseen :)

If they WONT fit, here's a followup question. Since the neck and body are both Maple, has anyone tried a Duncan Distortion in one of these yet? I'm curious if it would be too bright. If I can't go the "active" route, then had considered a Seymour Duncan Distortion for the bridge and a Duncan Jazz or 59 for the neck. I've got a similar setup in one of my Jackson King Vs and it sounds great. Just wondering about the Steinberger.

Thanks for any and all info as always! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link dude! Looks like their wiki is having issues right now (it gives an error saying that LOL), but I will bookmark it and check back later. For now I purchased a Seymour Duncan Distortion to load into the bridge position. So when the wiki comes back up it will be helpful for that as well because I'm not sure how to wire it in! LOL I'm a wreck :)

Thanks again!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

you might want to check out the Wiki page on converting steinberger electronics...

Steinberger Wiki

The wiki link does not work... is there another link? I am interested in converting steinberger electronics in a GT-Pro from passive to active. Thank you!

The wiki link does not work... is there another link? I am interested in converting steinberger electronics in a GT-Pro from passive to active. Thank you!

There is no "conversion". For replacing the passive electronics of a Spirit by active ones, you'll need to throw everything out, starting with the pickups and ending with the output jack. Once everything gets replaced, the corresponding wiring diagrams apply, e.g. as you can find them on the EMG website (or other manufacturers of active pickups). You'll need the active pickups, matching pots (25k), and a stereo output jack for switching battery power on when plugged in.

Bernd

Archived