Gibson Brands Forums

Static when touching pickguard on either of my Les Paul Custom's

flashbak

Recently converted to Les Paul Customs and both of them exhibit static/ crackling sounds when touching the pickguard while playing. What's the deal with that? If I gently put my finger on the area of the guitar around the 3 way switch I hear the same sounds. Both of the Les Paul Customs (2007 and 2008) exhibit the problem. I'm told that if you rub the pickguard with a dryer sheet it will help with the static buildup. For what we pay for these guitars, why doesn't Gibson come out with a fix?

I had a similar problem with a Telecaster. Static like crazy if I touched the pickguard, which I do a lot. Full shielding was the only way to solve the problem, but it's dead quiet now. You could try shielding just the back of the pickguard first - StewMac has shielding tape or spray glue and aluminum foil is the cheap route.

I guess I don't move fast enough to build up all that static. never had that issue at least not sober when I pick my feet up eusa_whistle.gif

Don't play n wool socks? eusa_whistle.gif

If shielding doesn't work maybe a static strap could be hooked ti the pick-guard, don't know if it would help but it's a hell of fashion statement. :D/

Sorry I know sarcasm doesn't help I just couldn't help it with this question, guess it was just shocking! #-o

Folks, it is not pretty slim at all, it is a fact. If I hook up one of my Fender Stratocasters the problem is gone using same cable to same equipment etc.... I've heard of others complaining about this same issue, hence my comment about a antistatic dryer sheet, but for the cost of the guitars this shouldn't be an issue. Any suggestions for a solution to the problem is greatly appreciated.

TimA, I don't know what else it could be. Like I mentioned above it doesn't happen with my Fender Strat when it is hooked up to the same equipment through the same cables etc....I'll try some further experiments to see if I can isolate the cause.

Ok folks it is definitely originating from both Les Paul Customs! I just got done hooking up my Ibanez SZ320 with dual humbuckers and not a sound, dead quiet! Nice huh, what the heck? If I rub my finger on the finish to the right of the 3 way toggle switch above the neck pickup I also get static/crackeling on both guitars.

Just noise...bad ground. It might be the AMP? But, if you tried another guitar,

then that's probably NOT the problem. Might be a loose ground wire...have you

looked inside the back plate/chamber? I'll admit, for BOTH of them to have that

problem seems a bit "out there," but not impossible, I suppose. Just to eliminate

more possibilities, have to tried a different cord? Maybe there's a different contact

in the inside jack on the LP's as opposed to the Strat? Probably not, but...you've

got nothing to lose, by trying.

CB

Anyone here have a wiring diagram for the Les Paul or Custom or can reference me to one? Is the major ground point in the tailpiece studs? Appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance! It seems like it might be pointing to the 3 way toggle switch since if one lightly rubs ones finger around that area slightly outside of it on the body you hear the static/crackling sound. However, there isn't any bad hum etc.....so it's kind of a strange symptom. Appreciate any help you folks can give.

When it's dry here in the winter my Little Lucille will build up static moving up and down the neck. I can feel and hear it. My old SG did also but not as bad. I think it's the nitro finish b/c my strat never had the issue or either of my Fender basses. I read dryer sheets rubbed up and down the neck help but I'm alergic so never gave it a shot.

i would strip the guitar down to the wood

remove the pots' date=' Pups, switches, wires all that crap

take it to your local guitar tech, tell him you had an accedent, and let him make it all better[/quote']

Wiseass.#-o

You do have the amp grounded and you've tested the outlet to make sure it's wiring is correct and the ground is real? I only get the static-on-the-pickguard problem when using a battery powered amp sitting outside barefoot (no, you don't want to see pictures of that). The string ground is supposed to take care of static but the amp needs to be properly grounded.

See, I'm not crazy! Saw this posted on a site unfortunately they don't give a solution to the problem.

Electrostatic or Static Electricity

The term "Electrostatics" is used to cover a very broad set of physical phenomena. "Electrostatic noise" or "Static electricity" have often been used to describe certain types of noise experienced by guitar players. By definition, electrostatic is just that - electrically static, which means an electrical charge that is not moving. If it's not moving, it's not causing noise! When an electrostatic charge becomes discharged, it is often called "Electrically Kinetic" under those conditions it can certainly create a crackle or pop. Electrostatic charges can build up on our bodies which can be discharged to your instrument (or for fun to your cat!). They are also the cause of lightning!

A less common complaint from guitarists is the crackling sound caused by the static charge generated by the hand & plastic pickguard as the guitar is played, which then finds a discharge path to your guitar circuit, causing a crackling sound.

Electrostatic discharges are not the cause of continuous hum from your guitar, but in some cases, can be damaging to your amp or effects pedal if they are not tolerant or designed with internal protection.