Gibson Brands Forums

ZT3- transtrem does not lock solidly -?adjustment possible

zen_jp5

I recently bought a ZT3, and the TT3 doesn't lock solidly. In the "locked"

position there is a tiny bit of play up and down, maybe .010" - .025". This can

produce buzzing - vibration of the entire movable part of the trem - on certain

notes.

The TT3 trem locking system consists of two blocks; each with serrated teeth that

fit together. One block is connected to the movable part of the trem; this

block can be moved either toward the headstock or toward the endpin by a cam mechanism

attached to the trem arm. This movement allows the user to either lock or

unlock the trem by rotating the trem arm. The second block is screwed to a static

bottom plate beneath the movable part of the trem.

The movement in my TT3 is occurring because the serrated block on the movable

part of the trem is not fully engaging the mating block that is screwed to the static

bottom plate of the trem. In the "locked" position there is a tiny gap between the

mating teeth of both blocks that allows movement.

There are two screws that hold the second block to the bottom plate. I've tried

loosening these and shifting this block closer toward it's mate. This worked for

awhile but soon things shifted back to their original position and the problem

recurred.

Is there a way to adjust the cam that's controlled by the trem arm to push the

movable block a little further out so it's teeth engage the static jaw better? Any

other ideas?

BTW, I've tried contacting Gibson several times about this,and haven't had a reply.

Most dealers have no idea whatsoever on how to adjust these things and would only

offer to sent the guitar back to Gibson; for a nice 1-3 month vacation!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to adjust the mating of the movable to

the fixed trem locking blocks on the TT3?

thx.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Don't have an answer to you your poroblem but maybe you can help me with mine? The 2 blocks with serratted teeth - has the one mounted to the body got a similiar ammount of teeth as the trem one? I ask this because I bought a ZT3 with transtrem problem and the block in trem cavity looks like its broken. Thanks and hope you solved your problem

• 7 months later...

I am experiencing a similar problem. Mine only locks in the bottom two positions, the standard and the 1st upper position. (this just started happening this week...I think a part may have broken and I didn't notice) I think mine is aligned right but maybe the part is broken. I don't know many teeth there are, if any on the non-moveable part that's screwed into the guitar. Have you tried tightening the two alan nuts on the side of the tremelo bar? I've had to loosen and tighten mine. I doubt that will help but it's worth a try. I'm terrified of messing with mine but I'm sure that's what I'll have to do since gibson isn't too helpful. Does the big plastic wheel screw have anything to do with where the tremelo rests/sits and it's position in relation to that attached lever? Maybe? Who knows. I wish I could be of more help.

dsh

Does the big plastic wheel screw have anything to do with where the tremelo rests/sits and it's position in relation to that attached lever? Maybe? Who knows.

The "big plastic wheel" adjusts the spring tension and thus the position of the trem when not locked. This is why the setup process starts with the trem locked in zero position (E) - tune - unlock - adjust the tension to match locked and unlocked position.

If your trems are really broken or defective, you need to find a "Gibson authorized service provider" in your area. These are the only ones being able to sell Steinie parts.

Bernd

Archived