Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Headstocks on Gibsons?

onewilyfool

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally! Most of us have been trying to help you get to that realization. Take the Satori and run!

I just think it's interesting how I replied to this thread and you followed me here trying to argue..........yet you act like you're not a troll.

Like I said.....it's only interesting if you find stupid interesting.

Count me guilty of enabling as well, though it really doesn't take much to make that happen lately. If this is what it's like within some of the electric forums, it doesn't speak too well for crossovers.

Yep. I guess someone over there felt we needed some remedial reading lessons as well !

I just don't see angled headstocks as a "design flaw", be they on Gibson or other builds. If it were recognized as a flaw I believe the manufacturer would do something about it. Norlin made changes in Gibson acoustics to correct what they perceived as weaknesses and we all know how that worked out...........those design flaws were thankfully corrected. Acoustic guitars are inherently fragile things that should obviously require some level of care when in use and storage. Just because an auto bumper gets bent or crushed when hitting a telephone pole we don't call it a design flaw.......one is not suppose to drive a car into a pole, just as one is not suppose to bounce their Gibson guitar off the floor. It's the nature of the beast, not a design flaw.

The thing is Gibsons anytime Gibson tries to correct or update their guitars everyone goes nuts. I'm not saying the LP neck is a fatal flaw, but it is a weak point on the LP that many other guitars don't have. Gibson did try to fix it or at least strengthen the neck with a volute, but for whatever reason they phased those out on LP. I have a 2013 EB bass with a volute so obviously someone in Gibson still thinks they help strengthen necks but they won't put them on LP.

But with classic guitars Gibson is walking on a tightrope, it's not as simple as just "fixing" stuff on LP because so many customers want them exactly like they were in 1960.

Not a Gibson but it is a neck break.

A working musician friend of mine showed me what happened when someone knocked over his mandolin.

I introduced him to my luthier friend who did a great job putting it back together. He also had to make a new nut and bridge that was lost in the accident.

He thought it was headed to the fire pile.

85069707-050B-461C-8424-A7A7906D1CDB_zpsiam8cfcq.jpg

B108FFCD-B7C3-4E57-AFE1-68C94F63A34B_zpseifoahke.jpg

E0BC0071-B4CA-4224-BDDF-D1A0C175EDCA_zpsjag9xztf.jpg

Gee, that looks a neat piece of work. I really do respect those who are able to do these types of jobs.

I use Jamonn Zeiler. He does great restorations, Builds nice custom guitars and can repair anything. He was listed in Acoustic Guitar as one of the top 50 Modern guitar builders.

This guy and his rants are really well known. You should read what he thinks of PRS guitars.

Lol, Ed Roman. Yes he is quite opinionated on PRS guitars. I own 3 of them. I remember reading what he had to say about them a few years ago and thinking damn!! From what I understand he builds custom made guitars and was ranting about the cost of a PRS and the ones built by CNC machines. All 3 of my PRS guitars were made in the small shop before they went to CNC :)

I don't think an old thread about broken headstocks are any less important than a new thread of the same. All through my life, I've wanted and loved the looks of a late 1940's Gibson Southern Jumbo, due mostly to the Everly Brothers. As life or era would have it, I ended up with a new 1962 Martin D 28 that I play regularly since then. I was always a Gibson nut with Scotty Moore as my idol along with many others. I've been lucky enough over the years to have been able to acquire about a dozen "Vintage" Martins and Gibsons. As old age really began to set in, I still wanted that Southern Jumbo. About three years ago a 1949 Gibson Southern Jumbo showed up on a "Vintage Dealers" list with a repaired severed headstock. I studied the pictures and history of this guitar for 6 weeks, it looked like this break happened years ago and not repaired 'til recently. No one showed interest for a few more weeks and I said what the devil, "why not try it"? I could always return it in their specified time. It arrived and all I imagined about it were true, an old break with a fairly recent repair. The sound was sweet and heavenly, perfect action for my style, it has become my first go to guitar since. Course I play the others also. This is only to say, as the years go by, "sometimes you must accept a guitar with some unwanted repairs to be able to afford it". Just my humble experience.

Archived