Gibson Brands Forums

Sg and metal = bad?

Kostek12

Hey guys, this is a thread to help me decide if i should get new pickups and if so then how to install them. I love playing metal and so far, my Gibson Sg special faded isnt doing it. I need help to identify the problem... is it the pickups? amp? anything else?

Equipment-

Gibson SG Special Faded 2008 (not modded at all)

Peavey Vypyr 15w

Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal

Please help me. Ive been thinking about this for quite a while and i think its the pickups... there are no pitch harmonics, the distortion is crackly... im pretty sure its not the amp since i bought a 100$ pedal and still the same problem while my friend has a ibanez with a spider 15w amp and has perfect metal sound... help? :(

If its the pickups, im thinking of switching them to EMG's or S.D Blackouts.

It is the pickups. the 490 combo does not handle metal sound too well.

You have two options passive or active:

PASSIVE - get high output pickups like SD dimebucker, SD Distortion, Bareknuckles Warpig, etc. - depending on the sound you want choose Ceramic or Alnico V magnets (you can go Alnico 8 if you want). If you want to play more trash and heavy metal (e.g. Metallica, Megadeath, even Rammstein, etc.) get a ceramic magnet pickup for the bridge. If you want to sound heavier (doom, new wave metal, etc.) get Alnico V magnet pickup for the bridge. The neck pickup is your choice again, depending on what type of soloing you plan to do and which sound you like more. (in the old days metallica and everybody else played with passive pickups). The Gibson 500T and 496R combo is good too.

ACTIVE - what you said - EMG or SD Blackouts. Same rules for magnets. Krik Hammet plays all ceramic pickups (neck and bridge), for example. Alnico V magnet will give you more Zakk Wylde solo sound (EMG 85) (he uses ceramic on his bridge - EMG 81).

Don't forget to change the pots and the caps if you go with the active option.

This is the simplest explanation I could come up with.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked out.

+1 on everything drizzt said.

I wasn't too pleased with the sound of my SG Special Faded's stock pups either. I mean, they sounded good, but there just wasn't enough oomph. I wound up putting in a set of Gibson ceramics (a 496R, and a 500T -same as what comes in Flying V's). That did the trick. Plus IMHO, they made my guitar look better...

SG_0019_small.jpg

thanks for the reply guys, i think im gonna get the emg 81/85 or 81/89 combo, i havent yet decided completely what pickups to get but anyways, my main concern now is that since it has that circuit board in it since its post 2008, how would i change the pickups? i looked on the internet and they said something about a plug? any ideas?

thanks for the reply guys, i think im gonna get the emg 81/85 or 81/89 combo, i havent yet decided completely what pickups to get but anyways, my main concern now is that since it has that circuit board in it since its post 2008, how would i change the pickups? i looked on the internet and they said something about a plug? any ideas?

You can't change to active pickups from passive without changing everything including, pots, pickup selector, and input jack.

so im guessing im getting blackouts, now care to explain how to swap them?

The same way you swap emg's. There active so you have to change every piece of electronics in your guitar. If you don't know anything about swapping them, I suggest going to a legitimate repair shop and allow them to do it.

But my recommendation, is not change the pickups at all. I really don't think they are the weak link in this situation.

But my recommendation, is not change the pickups at all. I really don't think they are the weak link in this situation.

I disagree I think it may be the pickups.

Please help me. Ive been thinking about this for quite a while and i think its the pickups... there are no pitch harmonics, the distortion is crackly...

I have a '95 SG Special with the 490s in it and have some of the same issues. While I don't have the problem with harmonics, I do know what you mean by the distortion is "crackly". I have a couple other guitars with various pickup types like 498T, P90s, and strat single coils, and they all have nice smooth high gain distortion sounds. But the 490T just doesn't have the same response. I would describe the distortion quality as something like a TV or clock radio with the volume turned too high, kinda crackly and poppy. It still handles the medium gain level distortions and fuzz just fine, but once it goes past a certain point it doesn't seem to keep up. At some point I will probably upgrade the bridge pickup, so let us know how it turns out for you.

so let us know how it turns out for you.

thanks, i will, ill go to my local bestbuy where i bought my gibson since they give lesson and ill ask them to teach me all the techy stuff since i have no idea how to change the pickups. Hopefully i wont bust the guitar :P

Yep passive all the way...active is cold and rather one dimentional.

My pick would be 1 bareknuckles miracle man, nailbomb or warpig in the bridge just as a try. Listen to the samples and your jaw will hit the floor.

I personally go for lower output pickups these days as it allows to drive my amp harder and keeps clarity, after all Lamb of God use Duncan 59's, not exactly a metal pickups.

I have a '95 SG Special with the 490s in it and have some of the same issues. While I don't have the problem with harmonics, I do know what you mean by the distortion is "crackly". I have a couple other guitars with various pickup types like 498T, P90s, and strat single coils, and they all have nice smooth high gain distortion sounds. But the 490T just doesn't have the same response. I would describe the distortion quality as something like a TV or clock radio with the volume turned too high, kinda crackly and poppy. It still handles the medium gain level distortions and fuzz just fine, but once it goes past a certain point it doesn't seem to keep up. At some point I will probably upgrade the bridge pickup, so let us know how it turns out for you.

Sounds like a boost is needed, or the setup doesn't have enough overall gain. The only real difference between the 490T and the 498T is the stronger magnet. it doesn't hit the input stage as hard, but with a clean boost you dial up a nice hot output signal.

Sounds like a boost is needed, or the setup doesn't have enough overall gain. The only real difference between the 490T and the 498T is the stronger magnet. it doesn't hit the input stage as hard, but with a clean boost you dial up a nice hot output signal.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Any suggestions on a cheap boost? MXR microamp?

I may change pickups anyway just because I always thought the bridge pickup on that guitar was kinda [sleep] uninspiring. But I will definitely try out a boost pedal for free at the store, before spending money on pickups. But for the time being I will most likely just stay with what I've got.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Any suggestions on a cheap boost? MXR microamp?

I may change pickups anyway just because I always thought the bridge pickup on that guitar was kinda [sleep] uninspiring. But I will definitely try out a boost pedal for free at the store, before spending money on pickups. But for the time being I will most likely just stay with what I've got.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Nano-LPB1-Power-Booster-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150092

The best boost I've come across, and VERY affordable.

By the way, you can change a pickups magnet pretty easily, just make sure you get the polarity correct other wise you'll sound like peter green on accident. Which if the original poster is all about higher output pickups, I'd have a higher output magnet put into the existing pup's long before I put in active's. Actually I'd be willingly castrated before I put active pups in any of my guitars, or took my guitar to best buy. I'm sure if there is a best buy that sells musical instruments in your town, there is at least one extremely qualified guitar tech who will do a much better job than a best buy employee.

Archived