Gibson Brands Forums

1956-58 ES-225TD

jhagan09

1. ebay

2. gbase.com

3. hundreds of vintage guitar dealer websites

4. buy and sell classified ads (e.g., craigslist)

5. general web search (google, etc.)

6. your local guitar shop

7. library / bookstore (guitar price guides)

Maybe one of our moderators here could create a "sticky" thread with this information. After all, this is really a FAQ.

By the way, originality and condition are very important. Without knowing anything about that, or having photos to look at, there's no way anybody here can provide any meaningful answer.

I know that in my own case it was best to actually take it to someone and get an appraisal done. To give you a rough estimate here's a link, but the value may or may not be reliable.

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html

There is so much that goes into getting an accurate appraisal, that it is in my opinion the only way to get an accurate value. Love to see a few pics though.

[biggrin]

The ES-225 was one of the cheaper models back then and isn't considered to be collectible -- by many at least. With the market being what it is, I doubt anyone will be beating the door down to get one. Essentially, it was one of the "student-models", and I don't believe I have ever seen a professional musician playing one...

The ES-225 was one of the cheaper models back then and isn't considered to be collectible -- by many at least. With the market being what it is, I doubt anyone will be beating the door down to get one. Essentially, it was one of the "student-models", and I don't believe I have ever seen a professional musician playing one...

Well, I don't know if he ever played it, but it looks like Eric Clapton owned one, and some charitable soul paid $18,000 for it at an auction! <g> See lot #36:

Eric Clapton Auction

Very cool link, thanks for posting that!

But the fact that this guitar "only" [biggrin] cost $18,000, actually speaks for his not having used it. The ones he played seem to have cost quite a bit more, and even the Guild guitars from the 80's brought between 16 and 20 grand. Too rich for my blood -- I don't care who owned it!

Just read this from the auction:

"Lot #80 - Fender / Versace Guitar Strap $15,000"

[blink]

That is an interesting link with Clapton. Thanks for posting that. I can't think of any big guitarist that really plays a 225TD either, but I know George Thorogood plays a 125TD which is very similar. In my own personal opinion the 125TD is more of a "student" model than the 225TD...however the 225 did come in a single pickup version...hmmm I don't know. Well, it is a fun guitar. Hope it gets played.

• 1 year later...

IMO a seriously neglected classic, having great aesthetic beauty and the magic of P90's

The ES 295 is more instantly recognisable via Scotty Moore

As mentioned, probably not very collectable....

Nowadays the ES 330 and ES 137 would cover the sights/sounds quite well....

V

:-({|=

I have a very nice 1956 ES 225T that I bought from the orig. owner for $1500.00 and I would not part with it. I have many other guitars, many far more expensive, but nothing that feels or sounds quite like my poor little student model, it's very light, well built and a blast to play.

Thanks John

Archived