Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered or Weight relieved

morty

hey guys, what are the main differences between Chambered and Weight relieved. is there a difference in sound between them? in one better sounding than the other, or is it just a different way to make the body lighter?

Weight-relieved...

weight1.png

Chambered...

chambereg.jpg

I think it is up to you decide if their is a difference, and which one you like better.

My chambered Les Paul has P90s, so can not compare the tone to my Traditional which is weight-relieved. I do notice that my "chambered" solid-body 336 is a little bit twangier (which I love) then my Traditional when played through the same set-up, but that could be due to other design factors....and seems more noticable at certain amp settings.

It is likely that the amp settings would make a bigger difference in resultant tone then the guitar body style.

I also know the Traditional is a pound heavier then both (9# vs. 8#), and while it feels more...solid & substantial...to hold and play, it does get heavy on the shoulder sooner.

Hey,

I didn't know that there was a difference between the two, but now I know. Thanks.

As far as Chambered.....I can you, having one now....my chambered LP Custom "Cobra Burst" is simply amazing and sounds totally different from any LP I own. Very warm and acoustic sounding with a really nice natural feedback.

For my 2cents...I love it.

Good luck and hope this helps

Steve

Ah, the eternal debate. Well, I own two LP, one chambered and the other swiss cheesed.

I have to say that de main difference is the weight on the shoulder with the swiss cheesed one which is a lot heavier. Also, the chambered one is non as well balanced as the swiss cheesed : the neck wants to go down all the time. To me, that's the main thing I don't like.

Also, the pick up on the 2008, 2009, 2010... standard model are just amazing !

Nicolas

Don't have a "Swiss cheese" Les Paul, but I love my chambered Classic Antique (balance feels fine to me, neck never wants to droop). I'd like to get both solid body and wt. relieved models to compare to. I do have another chambered (Studio 50's Tribute, Honeyburst) with P90's, and a slab body without the maple top (Robot LP Jr. Special) also with P 90's, but I don't know if that's a fair comparison without the top (plus an ebony board on the Robot).

But the 2007 Classic Antique with 57 Classics (+ at the bridge) is a real gem, a tone monster.

Don't have a "Swiss cheese" Les Paul, but I love my chambered Classic Antique (balance feels fine to me, neck never wants to droop). I'd like to get both solid body and wt. relieved models to compare to. I do have another chambered (Studio 50's Tribute, Honeyburst) with P90's, and a slab body without the maple top (Robot LP Jr. Special) also with P 90's, but I don't know if that's a fair comparison without the top (plus an ebony board on the Robot).

But the 2007 Classic Antique with 57 Classics (+ at the bridge) is a real gem, a tone monster.

I also like the classic antique, it's a beauty and a limited run. So sad they are not made anymore.

pet peeve of mine...my son has wt relieved...I have chambered, his sounds 10 times better, fuller, chunckier, beefier, etc...and it's not pickup difference (498T vs BB Pro), trust me. you guys deaf???? plucking the strings unplugged is like night and day...

Unamplified they definitely sound different.

Amplified they sound a bit different. Only your ears can tell you which you prefer.

The balance question is a grey area.

The first chambered LP I played was so light the balance was horribly neck-heavy when worn on a strap whilst others I've played have not been anywhere near as bad.

As we all know; some slabs of 'body' mahogany are heavier than others. I'm guessing that those chambered guitars I preferred were crafted from heavier blanks.

I like either one, but if the chambered one has a burg in it, it will suck! [tongue]

Lol... When I first got my Studio 50's Tribute Honeyburst, I flipped it over to look at the back, and heard a rattling sound. My first thought, "Oh no, it's got a burg in it"! [scared]

Flipping it to hear it again, the noise sounded very near the top. Looking closer, I discovered a descant bag from shipping lodged under the pick guard. Phew! [laugh]

Hey T...How's that HB working out? I just changed the strings on the ebony for the 1st time, was again impressed at how nice the set-up, fretboard, saddles etc. were/are.

After putting on some Les Paul nickle 10s, digging it all over again (chambers and all)!

hey guys, what are the main differences between Chambered and Weight relieved. is there a difference in sound between them? in one better sounding than the other, or is it just a different way to make the body lighter?

Personally, I think it's up to your own ear...

As you know, different strokes for different folks.

Unamplified they definitely sound different.

Amplified they sound a bit different. Only your ears can tell you which you prefer.

The balance question is a grey area.

The first chambered LP I played was so light the balance was horribly neck-heavy when worn on a strap whilst others I've played have not been anywhere near as bad.

As we all know; some slabs of 'body' mahogany are heavier than others. I'm guessing that those chambered guitars I preferred were crafted from heavier blanks.

Very well said...

Hey T...How's that HB working out? I just changed the strings on the ebony for the 1st time, was again impressed at how nice the set-up, fretboard, saddles etc. were/are.

After putting on some Les Paul nickle 10s, digging it all over again (chambers and all)!

I am near certain you mean the 50's Tribute (my Classic Antique is also a HB, and I've only had it for two months- and I got my also almost new Robot back from repair, and also picked up the Airline Map Guitar... lol, too many new guitars!). But yeah, still love the 50's Tribute, it's been sitting in the rack with a Strat and the Map Guitar, so it was one of the first I'd grab whenever I picked one up. Got a blemished (mint inside) Gibson Hard Case for it 5 days ago, so it's been getting some case time lately. But now that I'm again laid off work, it'll be getting more amp time this week! Still really like it, it has quite a different feel than either the Robot Les Paul Junior Special's 50's neck, or the Classic Antique's slim 60's tapered neck. It's a big fat club of a neck, and I've always liked fat necks (on guitars that is B) ).

Archived