Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on DVD guitar lessons?

I've been trying to learn how to play guitar for a little bit now but found that with my busy schedule I can't set aside a specific time to meet with an instructor and more important than that I can't afford one 8-[ So it seems like one alternative is to invest in some DVD guitar lessons and see where they get me. I've been looking at some DVDs made by Metal Method and have seen only favorable reviews but I was wondering if anyone here has tried them out? Are they effective in teaching beginner guitarists?

I think it's important to find a complete program that takes you step-by-step from your current level of playing experience to whatever level you wish to attain. People have a tendency to jump all over the place learning from one system then another. The end result is, they have huge gaps in their understanding of guitar and never make the progress that they desire. I don't think you can beat Metal Method's program. They have a basic course taught by Doug Marks that absolutely works. You can check out Metal Method's forums to see what others say about the course. For advanced guitar playing you can't beat the techniques taught by MM instructor Michael Angelo Batio.

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been over three months and I wanted to update everyone on my status of guitar learning. I ultimately ended up purchasing the Complete Basic Course; I was going to just order the first couple stages to get started but after being peer pressured by my boyfriend because it was "a better deal to order all together" which is code for he wanted to use the more advanced lessons I ordered the whole thing. I've been making my way through the lessons and am very impressed with the lessons and myself. He started on stage 3 but then decided to start from the beginning so he could learn some things he may have missed in his previous guitar instruction. He said that he learned more from the first few stages then he ever learned from his private instruction (that he did for two years!!!). Needless to say, I'm no shredder yet but I feel like I'm on the right track; as for my boyfriend he thinks he's ready for a world tour or at least a band and some local shows. I'm very satisfied with the product and would suggest it. And word is Metal Method is coming out with a new Michael Angelo dvd in December which makes it pretty easy to decide what to buy a certain shredder for the holidays. =D>

• 6 months later...

I figured everyone was on the edge of their seat waiting to hear about my progress. I have completed the Complete Basic Course and have started on a few other of Metal Method's DVDs. Any opinions on which ones to get?

Archived