Gibson Brands Forums

i.d. your Epiphone here -- serial # key, guitardater link + factory codes... a worldwide guide >part 3

Steven Lister

I cant seem to find any info on my Epi Les Paul Special II...

Serial number is very strange compared to the info provided and the website lookup.

AC05050143

I cant find the AC plant info anywhere! where was this made or is it a fake?

AC was used as a finish code in the model # at one time by Epiphone – to signify an aged cherry finish. No prior report of it as a factory serial code (best guess would be that the C = China).

Is your guitar new? Reports trickle through that Epi is re-vamping its serial # codes on new models.

Epi won’t confirm/deny.. Your best bet is to contact Epiphone directly and ask. Don't just presume you may have a fake (there aren't many). Report back here any official word and I’ll add it to our little database to help the next guy/gal.

WELCOME to the forum LPwanabe89 and best of luck!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

My G-310 SG has the serial number SU06030734. That denotes it was built in 2006, but what factory is SU? Seems odd. I know it's a genuine Epiphone, I bought it from an authorised dealer. It doesn't really matter to me where it was built, I was just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ES-175 is one whose serial number is 0106001. Is printed on the inside of the guitar in a light brown label that says EPI IS A DIVISION OF EPIPHONE.

MODEL-ES-175

SERIAL 0,106,001 .-

NASHVILLE-TENESSE-USA.

When you check dater project tells me that is made in Korea in 1990, which is impossible because I have it since 1989.

I have read that the series of seven figures are typical of Japan.

Can anyone help me to clarify the origin of my guitar?

Great thread but i"m still none the wiser about my epi les paul special.

It has an S Serial number and according to the guitar dater project it was made in the samick factory in korea but it has Made in Indonesia stamped on the neckplate along with the number, i thought if it was made in indonesia the letters should be SI but mine is just S.

Great little guitar though and sounds great, i just love the simplicity of it and it feels good around the neck.

• 3 weeks later...
This is some great info Stephen. Thanks for all the work that must have went into compiling it. I'm sure that Duane is doing what he can to make sure this info is not lost in the archives and hopefully he will have a solution soon.

Work? It's just a copy/paste from an old post I made. There's an updated list on the Epiwiki

To add to the overall knowledge of Epiphone's SN schema, Lord Summerisle has started building up some info regarding how to decode the new format that doesn't have the leading letter (this started in 2008, it seems). Here's what it is starting to shape up to, based on the assumption that the 5th and 6th digits in the SN correspond to the country of origin:

15 = Qingdao (electric)

16 = Qingdao (acoustic)

20 or 12 = DeaWon? or Unsung China? (still not sure which number corresponds to which factory)

21= Unsung, Korea

My MIK Riviera is SN 080522XXXX, which would suggest that 22 is also a Korean plant.

Cheers

My MIK Riviera is SN 080522XXXX' date=' which would suggest that 22 is also a Korean plant.[/quote']

I wanna add the 23 for Indonesia made guitars

I've seen some Epis at the local dealer' date=' all models made in Indonesia had xxxx[b']23[/b].......

Let's put out the call for seconds to your motions ---

-- ANYONE ELSE out there who can confirm 22 as Korea and 23 as Indonesia? PM me or post to confirm.

Thanks for your input fellas..., that's how our member database is kept at the cutting edge of info. lol

Thank you, just managed to find out my guitars info using the link

Can anyone tell me if some of the factories are more collectable/made better guitars?

It comes in handy when explaining to the girlfriend just why I needed another guitar, if I can point out to her that it's a great investment :-)

The Thunderbird is

"Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

June 1997

Production Number: 0049

And the Firebird is

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

August 2001

Production Number: 1257"

Hey- I've been lurking, trying to dig up some info on a '97 Epi Strat that came as a kit. It has almost NEVER been used..the poor thing. It's got a MADE IN KOREA sticker on it, and it also has a serial number that starts with J.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...I don't know a thing about Epiphone Stratocasters, so please forgive me if I've just made a silly comment!

TO everyone: Epiphone is in the process of changing serial # format. If any of you has information to confirm the new number 22 and 23 locations and/or to add to or correct our data list in any way, then please contribute by posting or by a PM to me. This topic information belongs to everybody -- working together we can keep it the most accurate source available.

:D First, thanks for the serial number info. I guess my Chinese Dot Deluxe is actually made in Korea. Somehow I feel that's a good thing. Second, you guys drink too much coffee or what? I mean, nobody knows everything there is to know about everything. That's why come here to share what we DO know. Don't make me seperate you guys! LOL!

Here's what I know: This is my first new Epi. For 400 bucks, it's unreal. So pretty, I'm afraid to play it. I'm getting over that though. And I know where my old Epi Regent bass is that I paid 35 dollars for back in 1978. I WILL get it back!

First' date=' thanks for the serial number info. I guess my Chinese Dot Deluxe is actually made in Korea.[/quote']

Curious to know the details leading to your conclusion. Is it a 2008--> model? What made you say "Chinese"? Were there stickers on it indicating made in China? What serial code points to Korea?

If there is an error in the data sheet, then I want to see it corrected. Appreciate your contribution.

BTW I compiled/posted this data here from multiple sources to put it all in one place b/c I think it's important for everyone to have access to the info. But I'm a musician not a bookkeeper (nor a scoundrel) so if Ricochet or anyone else wants to take over I'll happily exit the scene.

WELCOME to the forum Jimbotime!