Gibson Brands Forums

i.d. your Epiphone here -- serial # key, guitardater link + factory codes... a worldwide guide >part 3

Steven Lister

Hi everyone, Epi collector but noob user here, registered just so I could post in this thread. Has anyone ever figured out what factory the MR code corresponds to? I recently picked up a gorgeous CSB LP Standard Plus, serial number MR0109nnnn. I emailed Epi support to get details and sent pictures per the rep's request. The guitar has what looks to be an original "MADE IN KOREA" sticker on the back of the headstock, but the rep said the guitar was consistent with a Chinese model. Did he misspeak or is something fishy going on?

Hi

I have a G400 that has had its serial number disputed thanks to it not being recognised by the "serial decoder".

The serial is 0811230041, I realise that the decoder is not a foolproof system and this may be a genuine number.

I've opened the guitar up, its a solid wood body, the pickups are Epiphone (with stickers saying, for example, G400 neck and ROHS compliant), the electrics are all Alpha pots, the tuners are Grover, the pots routing even seems to be painted with graphite paint. Would a counterfeit/fake go to that level of detail? :)

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Hi everyone' date=' Epi collector but noob user here, registered just so I could post in this thread. Has anyone ever figured out what factory the MR code corresponds to? I recently picked up a gorgeous CSB LP Standard Plus, serial number MR0109nnnn. I emailed Epi support to get details and sent pictures per the rep's request. The guitar has what looks to be an original "MADE IN KOREA" sticker on the back of the headstock, but the rep said the guitar was consistent with a Chinese model. Did he misspeak or is something fishy going on?[/quote']

Update, he said he missed the MIK sticker and misspoke, it is indeed Korean. But he also said he couldn't disclose what the secret of the MR factory code is.

Hey fellow Epi-heads,

This is fantastic work, & much appreciated, but what should I make of a 'Zephyr' with R99Mxxxx serial number.

From the list I am thinking 'R' = Peerless Korea, '99' = 1999, but what does the letter 'M' before the four final numbers indicate?

This doesn't quite fit any of the code patterns on the list.

Cheers.

eggmuffins

Bumping as my first non-introduction post.

I figured my factory from the info from the OP--many thanks! (It's Quingdao.)

I tried to get the factory info for my Epi LP Jr., but the Guitar Dater Project site told me the "Y" code is not yet in the database. Perhaps some day . . .

Old Ampeg Guy

What's the serial# of your LesPaul ?

Sorry--I realize now my post was ambiguous. I meant to say that I figured out the factory for my Les Paul Standard Plus Top, and it's Quingdao.

The guitar for which I cannot determine the factory, the Les Paul Jr., bears the following serial number on the neck plate:

Y6120308

Thank you!

Old Ampeg Guy

A "Y" serial is new to me. Did you buy it at an authorised Epiphone dealer?

Yes, Guitar Center. This would have been early April, 1997 IIRC. It was at the beginning of Guitar Center's first stocking of the Juniors, and I believe they were $99.00. FWIW, it is an unbelievably good guitar for the money (the replacement pickups I put in later entirely aside).

Old Ampeg Guy

Yes, the Guitar Dater Project site identified the year as 1996 when I checked it Saturday.

I pride myself on my memory, but it's been a while. [biggrin] IIRC, it may have been a Malaysia (or Indonesia?) sticker, but I'm a bit foggy on it because one thing I do recall is removing the sticker shortly after getting it home, so the sticker has not been on the guitar more recently than the purchase date if that recollection is correct.

Thanks,

Old Ampeg Guy

One more thing:

Peter (paruwi6172) will head the charge in making changes to the opening thread as needed. Steve is very busy so he felt, and I agree that Peter would be the right member for maintaining this thread........ That's if Peter is okay with it????:)

Congratulations, Peter!!!! I've noticed while looking

for serial number info that OTHER SITES mention this

particular thread, and post links. Also shows up a lot

in google searches.

First order of business, install direct phone line to

Epiphone Headquarters!

:) [thumbup] [thumbup]

1st -- Congratulations Epiphone community -- your I.D. needs are now better served.

2nd -- thanks duane v for taking members' input seriously and making it happen!

Animalfarm is right and to that fact I have already suggested to duane that an automatic redirect be placed on the old thread to keep searchers out there from being lost in cyberspace or linking to a thread that will very soon be outdated (if not already, hah, ha). Hopefully either that or the move will preserve the link and take people to the right cyberaddress. Hey, what do I know about computer geekery goo... 12 bar blues still has me all tangled up... in a good way.

You're all in good hands now with paruwi6172 at the helm.

Me? Well as many of you already know...

...hitting all the BLUE NOTES baaaby..., I'm still playing on [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...