Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 Club!!!!

guitarkid

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted a pic of my double-cut LP Special over in the Specials club, but since it has P90s I thought I'd go ahead and post a pic of it here also.

11746242966_0736f731f6_b.jpgGibson Les Paul Special circa 2000 with P90 single coils by Michael McBroom, on Flickr

I have another guitar with a single P90. While not a Gibson, it is now days one of the Gibson brands. It's a Kramer Focus 1000, which originally had a single humbucker and a Floyd Rose. I almost never use wang bars, so I took a couple of pieces of hardwood and tapped them into the tremolo's channel to isolate it, preventing its movement. I also had the neck position routed for a P90, installed the P90 and a pickup selector switch. When I had the guitar apart I noticed the humbucker had an additional wire that wasn't being used, so I wired it up to produce single coil, parallel and series, hooked up to a micro switch. I don't use the other settings though. I just mostly leave it set to the straight humbucker mode. As for the P90, in the neck position, it delivers just a huge wall of sound. I love it.

11745740253_e9ceaf015b_b.jpgKramer Focus 1000 circa 1986 by Michael McBroom, on Flickr

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey "mihcmac",

Tell me about that Roland amp stack...?

Haven't seen that kind of setup before.

(Great looking guitar as well - love the whammy bar!)

Thanks!

I created a Spector-ish wall of sound using 6 amps with 6 sets of effects, each slightly out of phase with the next.. Anyway I like the way it sounds and use external overdrives. My battery powered Micro Cubes are use a series of Y cords to interconnect them... I play out doors a lot, watching the ocean and join in with drum circles..

I also still have a 1/2 stack and a Deluxe 90...

The Duesenberg Les Trem II on the red LP, surprisingly dives a little farther than my new Duesenberg B5 style on the Blueshawk.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for explaining - Sounds like you would get a very unique sound with that setup. I noticed the Y cables connecting each one - pretty cool!

I created a Spector-ish wall of sound using 6 amps with 6 sets of effects, each slightly out of phase with the next.. Anyway I like the way it sounds and use external overdrives. My battery powered Micro Cubes are use a series of Y cords to interconnect them... I play out doors a lot, watching the ocean and join in with drum circles..

I also still have a 1/2 stack and a Deluxe 90...

The Duesenberg Les Trem II on the red LP, surprisingly dives a little farther than my new Duesenberg B5 style on the Blueshawk.

• Upvote 1

My 97 Gibson Blues Hawk project, replacing the Blues 90's with standard Gibson P90's and try to stabilize the finish checking... Not sure if there is a tremolo in its future, but it could be a gold B5.....

PH0Qm6i.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

I know 2 people that bought these recently and both are speaking favorably about their experience.

GC has them at $999 but MF is pre-ordering for $850.

Probably a good deal if anyone is looking.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-P-90-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-special-p-90-limited-edition-electric-guitar#productDetail

Happy trails

D

• Upvote 1

1555004702[/url]' post='1986656']

I know 2 people that bought these recently and both are speaking favorably about their experience.

GC has them at $999 but MF is pre-ordering for $850.

Probably a good deal if anyone is looking.

https://www.guitarce...ctric-Guitar.gc

https://www.musician...r#productDetail

Happy trails

D

Very tempting ... msp_razz.gif

As of a couple weeks ago, I added a Les Paul BFG with P90s to my Gibson arsenal. BFG stands for "barely finished guitar" and I can believe it -- it's pretty rough. But it's a great player and it has that great P90 sound.

Edited by cooltouch

I bought this 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Player in limited Orange Sunrise last year (I always buy used, this was my first "new" guitar purchase). It came with black plastics, but recently switched them out for creme. Really happy with how it turned out:

Before setup (bridge cover replaced):

post-92924-056667700 1555850357_thumb.jpg

After setup:

post-92924-027310100 1555850388_thumb.jpg

post-92924-075443000 1555850168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lussda
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

While searching for an Epi T310 to upgrade with P90's, I found this G&L Junior II, which has Gibson style bridge hardware allowing me to install a Les Trem II so I couldn't resist... The Paul Gagon-designed P90 pickups are balanced and have hum cancelling when selector is in mid position. The mahogany body is a lot heavier than I expected, I may have to put it on rollers... But it is fun to play..

1bJM61s.jpg

So.. Now I have three 25.5" scale necks to play, this "Junior II" with heavier frets and my BluesHawks that have a lighter touch, a little easier action..

Edited by mihcmac