Gibson Brands Forums

TT2 spring tension knob problem

corneliusw

Hi,

I've had my GL4T since I was 17 and I love it. It has been a flawless guitar for most of my life. The Trans Trem 2 unit has worked like a DREAM!

However, the other day my tremelo was playing up and not returning to the same place. I started to to loosen the Spring Tension knob and I heard a snap. I thought the spring broke, so I pulled off the TT to find the spring completely intact and not broken at all. Then I tried to loosen the spring tension knob to find that it doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm looking at the spring, knob and pivot and I'm totally confused. I can't seem to understand how the knob actually tightens and loosens the spring. the knob rotates a tread that seems to go nowhere. Either, I'm missing something or.. I have lost a vital part of the mechanism. I searched the area high and low for a missing part but I couldn't fins anything, and all pics I've found online look similar. I've attached a photo.

post-25190-010072400 1283143107_thumb.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. I miss my little guy and had to play without him on Saturday. It was so sad!

So, After much prodding and closer observation, I found the problem.

There is nut/plate-T-shaped,piece that was stuck to the chassis that i didn't see as a moving part. This nut/plate moves up and down when moving the spring tension knob, tightening and loosening the spring. Unfortunately, this nut is threaded, therefore - it doesn't move anymore! and I can't adjust the tension. The screw looks OK.. but the nut is defnitely is threaded.

Any advice as to where I may find parts? I'm in Australia.. but happy to purchase off the net.

This is the screw and nut:

post-25190-026384800 1283149978_thumb.jpg

thanks,

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with my GM4T do you know where o can get a screw/square nut for spring tension lift knob? Stripped threads, guitar useless without.

That eBay link doesn't appear available or it's in German language, at least

The link isn't available AND in German language, stating that the link isn't available ;)

JCustom no longer has them in his shop, but don't worry, I will soon provide them myself. We have done that for another Steinberger trem, the KB trem, and since both parts are pretty similar, we'll also do that for the T-Trem. It will look like this one on the pic below. I'll send you a PM when they are available, should be within the next week.

Best regards,

Bernd

post-24101-059253700 1316298185_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my GM4T do you know where o can get a screw/square nut for spring tension lift knob? Stripped threads, guitar useless without.

Hello Jaylawless,

as announced, I've got the spring tension adjusters available. If you're interested, just send me a PM or an e-mail via my website.

Regards,

Bernd

post-24101-055633500 1317070825_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello Jaylawless,

as announced, I've got the spring tension adjusters available. If you're interested, just send me a PM or an e-mail via my website.

Regards,

Bernd

I have a GL4TA and after a string change the TT won't stay in tuned position after coming out of the locked setting (the string tension/note drops a half step). I try to tighten/adjust the tensioner knob, but it is very difficult to turn. I was thinking to get some channel locks and a towel to prevent scratching, but seeing this thread I am thinking it would be better to use only the force that my fingers can apply.

I re-stringed it with GHS strings that were supposedly calibrated, the ball ends were properly sitting. Is it possible this is an issue with the string length?

I decided to take all the strings off and tear down the TT to clean it up, oil it and check for any signs of problems with the threads on the tensioner.

I have a GL4TA and after a string change the TT won't stay in tuned position after coming out of the locked setting (the string tension/note drops a half step). I try to tighten/adjust the tensioner knob, but it is very difficult to turn. I was thinking to get some channel locks and a towel to prevent scratching, but seeing this thread I am thinking it would be better to use only the force that my fingers can apply.

The tension adjuster can get dirty, and over time even stuck due to dirt. In this case it's not possible to get it working again with only the force your fingers can apply. But if you DO apply more force, it should immediately be followed by disassembly and cleaning/lubricating of the trem. So yes, take off and clean the trem as you intended anyway. Put some WD-40 on the thread, wait, then turn the tension adjuster up and down, clean the thread. After cleaning it, lubricate it with some PTFE based gun oil or similar.

I re-stringed it with GHS strings that were supposedly calibrated, the ball ends were properly sitting. Is it possible this is an issue with the string length?

GHS strings are not known for their precision, so it is possible that transposing doesn't work very well with them, but they surely do not cause the problems you describe.

Bernd

The tension adjuster can get dirty, and over time even stuck due to dirt. In this case it's not possible to get it working again with only the force your fingers can apply. But if you DO apply more force, it should immediately be followed by disassembly and cleaning/lubricating of the trem. So yes, take off and clean the trem as you intended anyway. Put some WD-40 on the thread, wait, then turn the tension adjuster up and down, clean the thread. After cleaning it, lubricate it with some PTFE based gun oil or similar.

Bernd

It was my first time using GHS strings. I always used Steinberger branded strings in the past, but my supply ran out.

My GL4TA looks incredibly like new and I didn't think any gunk got into it, but as I was very concerned about forcing that spring tensioner I decided to take it apart for the first time and check things out.

It was a little interesting getting the saddles back to normal since they fell off my work surface and got jumbled up, so I ended up just adjusting the action and intonation anyway. What I found underneath the TT was that it was very clean, however there was some gunk that was on the threads. To tell you the truth, I have a feeling this was original waxy/lubricant of some kind that dried up. I cleaned up the threads and lubricated the screw and now it turns effortlessly (relatively given the spring tension). Given how fine the threads are on that screw, I think forcing it to turn would have been a bad idea.

My GL4TA is serial # T9198 and was signed on the back by Yngwie Malmsteen on the "War to End All Wars" tour. He played it for a bit and said "What is this thing?"

Archived