Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ160E

sjb66

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure but I believe most states will charge immediately residents of that state IF there's what they call "nexus" of a given firm.

E.g., last I heard MF was in California. I think it may also be in a couple of other states. If the state and or company have decided that there is nexus in a given state, they'll charge sales tax. In theory not your own "local," but that also could depend on the state.

Nexus may also be determined in different ways. For some years a number of states have been working to get their sales taxes into a common format so that if they could get some federal law and/or some multi-state pact could be determined to be "legal," they could add sales tax to sales into those/all states.

There also is in some states a "use tax" that supposedly would be paid by anyone purchasing goods or services from out of state if those goods or services would be subject to sales tax within the state of the purchaser's residence (including a business's physical address.) That latter puts the onus of reporting onto the purchaser - which means in practical terms that businesses can be hit with it but individuals seldom are - at least with current sales reporting standards.

m

cougar...

No argument at all on the value...

For general use, I'd still recommend those DR Zebra strings. They're half acoustic and half electric in the windings... Work marvelously on an AE and i see no reason they wouldn't on a mag...

m

Well, even with about 20 bucks tax, that's a darn good price for a new EJ160e, isn't it?

$349 is a great price. I paid $500 back in 2005 and mine is the odd shaped one.

The new Indonesian looks right in both shape and color, mine is the current Gibson burst not the 60s Black, Red, Orange.

The few I have grabbed seem closer in tone to a J160E the standard one anyway I had.

Great price would not hesitate if I did not own two already.

Someone, somewhere suggested using GHS "White Bronze" strings as a good electric/acoustic compromise. Tried them - they sound great unplugged, but not so good through my Vox AC15C1 (tube) amp. Will switch back to electric guitar strings.

I use the White Bronze that and D'addario electric 12s whatever the store has when I need to buy.

You are right they are ok electric but sound good acoustic and seem to last.

I seldom plug in my EJ160Es they are just meh plugged in nothing at all like the real Gibson P90 J160Es standard or Beatle.

No way of knowing 100% sure (except for "I Feel Fine"), but...

Plugged in:

"I Feel Fine"

"I'll Be Back"

"If I Fell"

Unplugged:

"Norweigian Wood"

"A Day In The Life"

I once tried recording my EJ-160 not plugged into an amp but simply with a microphone in front of the soundhole and the guitar sounded COMPLETELY different. It was the "Norweigian Wood" sound. Plugged into my Vox amp and I was getting "I Feel Fine." The guitar really offers two very different sounds.

"And I Love Her" BBC plugged in recording unplugged

"Do You Want To Know a Secret" plugged in

"If I Fell" unplugged

"I'll Be Back" unplugged

By A Hard Days Night (1964) they were pretty much done plugging them in.

"I Feel Fine" seems to be about the last time. (also 1964)

$349 is a great price. ...

That's what I thought, particularly since many of the used ones on ebay are asking for more than that. Of course, a nice case thrown in has its value. But so does a brand new guitar over a used one (with exceptions, of course).

....would not hesitate if I did not own two already.

Haha. I guess that's a pretty good recommendation. I was clearly being drawn by that old irrational acquisition syndrome. Do I really need/want one of these EJ160s? seeing how I've recently acquired two fine Masterbilt acoustics, and I've got some great electrics in the Dot, 339, and LP Standard. And reviews for the EJ don't exactly claim top rate in either category. I do like the idea and positioning of the mini-humbucker, but there are a lot of criticisms about its output. I wonder if they've fixed that grounding problem that some earlier comments on the web have mentioned....

Laugh at the old man if you will, but don't forget that "in the olden days," flattops with mag pups were fairly common and "we" hadda make use of 'em the best we could with what strings were available.

Also, remember that this also is when a lotta rockers were using flatwounds on grounds that they were "the" electric strings.

I don't think there should be much, if any more difficulty with the ej160 than a rancher/cowboy music and poet, friend of mine has had with his old early/mid 50s Gibson CF100 and CF100e guitars. He added a mag to the slightly different braced acoustic version and the "e" version is basically (as I understand it) a P90 on the flattop. He uses the Gibson as a light flatpicker using the amp to give him volume rather than technique.

What I'm getting at is twofold: First, you ain't never gonna get the exact sound you think the Beatles had by listening to recordings, no matter what strings or technique; second, don't forget the strong influence specifically of technique on "tone."

I keep seeing guys complain about the tone they get from this or that guitar, acoustic, electric or AE, but they also keep playing it the same way with the same strings, picks, and most importantly the same technique.

Personally I tend to blame a lotta that on electrics where you get a lot of opportunity to mess with tone with all those knobs and switches on the guitar and amp. Then comes discussion of strings, scale, type of pups (as if the pups don't get their signal highly modified through stomp boxes and amps) and such - often with folks just playing with the same technique and expecting a different sound.

I keep going back to my classical guitar background and the Segovia comment that the guitar can be an entire orchestra of sound/tone. Can be. That's a matter of technique.

m

• 4 weeks later...

I had a new J160E 1965 model in 1966 and never plugging it in. I used acoustic strings on it and it sounded fine just like that.

I really don't understand why people try to duplicate a sound the Beatles had . It was their sound as a band and no one will ever know if they ever plugged the J160E in or not.

They had sound engineers to get the sound they were after.

I knew one fellow in a great band in the later 60's who used the J160E plugged in and it sounded fine , I don't know what strings he used but they must have been electric type.

I think Ami Mann uses an old J160E .

I had a new J160E 1965 model in 1966 and never plugging it in. I used acoustic strings on it and it sounded fine just like that.

I really don't understand why people try to duplicate a sound the Beatles had . It was their sound as a band and no one will ever know if they ever plugged the J160E in or not.

They had sound engineers to get the sound they were after.

I knew one fellow in a great band in the later 60's who used the J160E plugged in and it sounded fine , I don't know what strings he used but they must have been electric type.

I think Ami Mann uses an old J160E .

Seen her at the white house video with a beautiful Gibson dove

Archived