Gibson Brands Forums

Time Machine?

Gibson CS

No way to know for sure. A lot depends on how much sunlight the guitar is exposed to, and the ratio of the pigments used to make up the cherry part of the burst. I do not know if the Gibson USA finishs are exactly the same as the Custom Shop ones. They have tried to replicate the burst colours and pigments for the CS so that they would be as authentic as possible. If the cherry red has a lot of blue, the finishes tend to fade to tea burst shades (I think), usually these are dark burst or darker burst finishes at the start. Others will fade almost completely to lemon drops or un-bursts, and others to honey bursts. I haven't looked at it in a while and it is in a box upstairs, but I recommend you get a book called 'Beauty of the Burst' it has all kinds of information about the original bursts. You will often see the book referred to as BOTB. I will check around on the LPF to see if anyone has pics of a Gibson USA burst fading. I know a couple had pictures of their historics showing a slight difference between the body and under the pickguards.

this guitar

AM92320.jpg

now looks like this:

Slash.jpg

Incredible isn t it ?

This is really the same, 3 pieces table, and the default on the left bottom of the guitar.

This is the one that will be replicated, I have created a topic to introduce the guitar..

The sunburst has totally disappeared...

Archived