Gibson Brands Forums

USB Audio Interface

EVOL!

I am the proud owner of a new Mac Book Pro. The bad news? It only has one analog jack so recording and listening to the playback at the same time is right out. I need a USB audio interface so I can use the analog jack for headphones. Anyone use a USB interface they can recommend? I don't need a fancy one with a preamp or phantom power. My mixer or tube preamp will take care of that.

NOTE: I originally posted this in the lounge before realizing there is a recording room.

I am the proud owner of a new Mac Book Pro. The bad news? It only has one analog jack so recording and listening to the playback at the same time is right out. I need a USB audio interface so I can use the analog jack for headphones. Anyone use a USB interface they can recommend? I don't need a fancy one with a preamp or phantom power. My mixer or tube preamp will take care of that.

NOTE: I originally posted this in the lounge before realizing there is a recording room.

If you don't want to spend a huge amount of money, then I'd take a look at the Line 6 Pod Studio range.

http://line6.com/podstudio/

I have a UX2, because I like the bells and whistles, and the phantom power is handy in the event that I eventually buy a condenser mic. But you can save money and buy a UX1 ($149) or GX ($99) model, and still enjoy the same software and low latency specifications, etc.

I record all my stuff with the UX2, and I'm fairly happy with it. http://www.soundclick.com/hsjcarrier

I might upgrade to better equipment in the future...but for $199 I'm pleased with my Pod Studio UX2.

EDIT: Sorry - I should have read your post properly first. If you're using a tube pre-amp then I guess you just need a simple interface, rather than all the Line 6 software etc. I know people who swear by the M-Audio interfaces, like this one: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrkUSB2/

I apologize for my incompetence, but what would be the way to run a tube preamp before a recording interface? I have considered the M-Audio stuff before, and a mic, but have not thought about running a preamp in line (I assume).

Sorry for the thread hijack Evol [blush]

Hijacking is OK.

Picture the USB device as an analog to digital converter. The signal path would go mic --> preamp and/or mixer --> USB device --> Mac Book.

Guest BentonC

Regarding the interface, it might depend upon which DAW you are using. If you're into Pro Tools, you'll have to go with M-Audio or Digidesign/Avid. If you're not using Pro Tools, the world is your oyster. M-Audio makes some good cheap interfaces. I would HIGHLY recommend the Apogee One if you are using the Mac-based applications (Garage Band or Logic). The converters are the best!

Archived