Gibson Brands Forums

Discontinued Model Club

guitarkid

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someshit124.jpg

2005 Les Paul Std Faded. Looking kinda rough in this picture I know. The missing reflector nob and broken string have been replaced.

Oddly enough, I like the "rough" look...it says that guitar is loved and PLAYED!! [thumbup][biggrin]

While I don't like factory "aged/relic'd" guitars, in general, one like your's that has honest play

ware, is awesome!

CB

The majority of mine aren't made anymore (sometimes the model is still made but not in the finish I own).

But rather than post a wall of photos I'll try and limit myself to the ones actually classified as les pauls and discontinued:

DSC00278.jpg

2005 LP Deluxe (non chambered, the "Les Paul Model" overlay is really really faint for some reason, almost transparent)

DSC00053.jpg

2007 GOTW LP Money Bass

DSC00225.jpg

2008 LP Robot

DSC00076.jpg

2009 LP Junior Robot

Other Gibby's I wouldn't be able to easily find replacements for: A couple GOTW Explorer Pros, a GOTW Explorer with Vibrola, and explroer and flying v in natural finish, reverse flying V (first run), and I don't know if the vintage burst SG I just picked up is going to stick around for a while. The rest I can still get.

Here's my 1997 Les Paul Elegant in Butterscotch Flame. I have 5 Les Pauls and this one is the lightest (chambered) 7.4 lb and my favorite.

Butterscotchbody.jpg

Butterscotchheadstock.jpg

The only thing I don't really like about it is the Custom Shop logo on the headstock. I think only the 96 and 97 models had this. Then they switched to a traditional headstock for a couple of years before they discontinued the Elegant.

Here's my 1997 Les Paul Elegant in Butterscotch Flame. I have 5 Les Pauls and this one is the lightest (chambered) 7.4 lb and my favorite.

Butterscotchbody.jpg

Butterscotchheadstock.jpg

The only thing I don't really like about it is the Custom Shop logo on the headstock. I think only the 96 and 97 models had this. Then they switched to a traditional headstock for a couple of years before they discontinued the Elegant.

Well, think of it this way....in 40 years, that headstock version, being limited, will be worth more,

to you, or your kids (assuming you, or they, still have it, by then???) [biggrin]

CB

Well, think of it this way....in 40 years, that headstock version, being limited, will be worth more,

to you, or your kids (assuming you, or they, still have it, by then???) [biggrin]

CB

Good point and my kids are already trying to pry it out of my not yet cold or dead fingers. I just like the sleeper look, especially when playing out, instead of advertising that it's a custom shop LP.

Good point and my kids are already trying to pry it out of my not yet cold or dead fingers. I just like the sleeper look, especially when playing out, instead of advertising that it's a custom shop LP.

O:) Yeah, I've always preferred the Custom Shop or "Special Edition" indicators,

to be on the back, of the headstock, as opposed to the front, as well. Maybe, if

my playing was "special" enough, [blush] I might(?) be less inclined, that way?

But, I seriously doubt it. It's just not in my nature, at all.

The "50th Anniversay" editions, with that decal on the front of the

headstock is a perfect example. IMHO, it should have been on the back,

of the headstock, with the normal "crown" inlay intact, on the front!

But, that's just me! [biggrin]

CB

• 5 months later...

This is what i like about gibson!... After just a couple of years any guitar would be unique!... I love that!.. it makes a guitar a unique piece of art!...

I don't think either of mine are made any more? LP Classic (2005 style, "1960s" with Ceramic Humbuckers) and a limited-run 2007 SG Standard 3 single coils

2007SGStdw3sc2005LPClassic.jpg

My big three.. all disscontinued models (even though one is only just)..

A 2002 LP Classic 1960 re-issue, a 2008 Standard and a 60s Tribute Goldtop (first run with Rosewood board)

DSC01788.jpg

and my Double Cut Faded 2005

gibson11.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just bought a '72 Les Paul Recording guitar, the one with the angled low impedance pickups and about a dozen controls and switches. Found one that was a little steep, but it has just been checked over and fixed up by Gibson in Nashville, and it all works. Came with the factory case which is good, because nothing else fits.

I have wanted one for about 40 years, and saw this one and I thought, well I'm going to be 66 soon, and I better get one NOW.

Will be here next week sometime...pics coming up then, after I figure out how it all works. I also ordered a Shure inline transformer for it so I can use the Low Impedance setting.

This one is VERY similar the Les Paul's own Recording guitar that he played for many years...I beileve his was the same year.msp_thumbup.gif

Forgot -I also recently got a Gibson SG Special 3 pickup in Worn White

DSCN0725_zps2b53f582.jpg

...has a 6 position rotary switch with a chicken head knob...Mine has covers on the 3 HB's.

DSCN0726_zpsf82b2ca8.jpg

A NICE guitar! Mine is a 2007 - I think they stopped making them in 2009.

DSCN0728_zps15058190.jpg

This is still going to be my 66th birthday present to myself...The LP Recording is just because it was there when I had the money.

mark

• 1 month later...

Bence,

Just noticed that because of the Binding Back and Front, that model (II) did not have the body contouring on the back.

I probably forgot!!

DG

Hello Dave!

No, it doesn't have a belly-contouring. Sometimes, the guitar cuts right between the ribs. That's the price to pay for the nice reverse-coloured binding.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello 6stings!

Wonderful guitars! Congratulations!

You seem to be obsessed with the honeyburst finish, which I can fully understand! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Thanks Bence,

I like their 'unfinished' honeyburst look, but I am more obsessed with other features of 2008 Std Fadeds, like the chambered body, no grain filling, '50s neck.

One if them was heavily wax-polished by the previous owner, it took me a week to clean it.

Archived