Gibson Brands Forums

Discontinued Model Club

guitarkid

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, if someone on this forum knows how many guitars made ​​in a series of Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus limited edition 1996 in transparent red color. On the net I found little information about this series and this guitar, so I ask for help!

• 1 month later...

Seeing all of these beautiful guitars here makes me wonder why Gibson would discontinue some models. Some of them are just beautiful works of playable art.

Here's a few of mine that I think fit into the the discontinued club.

'98 DC Standard, 24 fret, gold hardware

m3TnKcy.jpg

'01 Special w/P100's, '03 Faded Cherry Special w/humbuckers

RXAJNPw.jpg

(Sorry for the bad photos)

I cant on this phone but it was posted in the lounge.

I found it at MF. Except for the coil-taps and the slightly different neck decoration, it's the same as the old one. At least they could have offered it with different colors and pickups.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Ricky!

Congratulations! This is a sweet Studio from the second year of the model's production! Tim Shaw pickups, mmmm...

Cheers... Bence

Thank you. This was the first year for the studio standard. In 83 the custom shop made a studio custom that was a concept. 84 to 86 they made the studio standard. 84 to 85 they made the studio custom before finalizing the studio design. It is 100% original and I love the Tim Shaws. I am the third owner of this guitar and been enjoying her for 2 years now. Can't believe she looks so good for a guitar about to be 30 years old. It is rare to see them for sale. This year I saw 3 for sale. One had the pick ups swaped out, one was stripped all hardware and pick ups gone, and one was original. I even still have the patent applied stickers still on the pick up rings.

Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when a poor photographer with a poor camera tries to photograph a beautiful guitar. :rolleyes: This is my '97 Classic "Cherry Pie", which has been my number one for nearly 15 years.

cm5p.jpg

Over the years, I've added p/u covers and removed the scratchplate, to reveal a subtle grain.

yj4u.jpg

yqfa.jpg

Thank you Shrek. [smile] That's my Marshall 1960AX cab, to go with my JTM45 reissue head. And yes, that was me on my 40th birthday party, playing the twin neck, which I subsequently sold - it was a bit of a one-trick pony, and the 6-string neck was very short scale. Only about 20 frets, if I remember correctly.

One more - My Les Paul Studio '50's Tribute, P 90's, in Honeyburst...

DSCN0532_zpsb9bd3640.jpg

Pickups were changed out for Tom Short Sweet P90's...

AND my last for today, all discontinued, Epiphone Zenith bass. SG Special 3 pickup, worn white, and 1972 Les Paul Recording guitar...

DSCN1092_zpse86c4b98.jpg

That's it...unless they have really discontinued LP Juniors...

Purdy!

Is the finish lighter at the selector switch / cutaway area or is it a trick of the light?........:-k

P.

It's just the light. I hand polished the top using an old clean T shirt and Mother's Mag Wheel Polish...and a very light touch!

It's a very good guitar - IMO, Studios can be as good players as the big money models...this one is BETTER to play than my old '68 LP Custom, and the tone is just sweet!

mark

Nice Zenith Bass!

[thumbup]

...IMO, Studios can be as good players as the big money models...this one is BETTER to play than my old '68 LP Custom, and the tone is just sweet!...

I agree.

The first time I payed a Studio was when a fellow forumite brought his around along with his R9 and I thought the Studio was just as nice a player.

P.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1283858039[/url]' post='735478']

Not sure if "The Paul" counts as some do not consider them real Les Pauls.... I do though and likely the closest I will get to the real thing unless I win the lotto..... But I have my "The Paul" and as an acoustic guy, that is all I really need. [thumbup]

1979 Gibson "The Paul" (1978 to 1982)

hello brother....I had a PROTOTYPE "tHE PAUL". one of the BEST les Paul's I have ever had...and mind you...I've owned the likes of 1972 Custom....76Deluxe....numerous SG's.....oh...76 BB. 3PUs....Standards WAY...to many to remember...so trust me...these guys tellin you THE PAUL...is not a REAL LP....is talkin arrogant yada yada that paid to much for a AGED / ROAD WORN. LP. Attempting to exalt themselves above you....snuff of my ranting diatribe...Point is. Hold yer head high...you ARE playing a REAL LP...made in the ilk of one of the best LPs EVER made....the LPJ...Humbuckers sted of P90s...you get my point...peace

100_0914-1.jpg

ThePaulOutside1.jpg

ThePaulCloseOutWP.jpg

ThePaulClsRear.jpg

ThePaulHead.jpg

Archived