Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Serial number

Bluerooster

I called Gibson, and you were right they gave me everything including what dealer the guitar originally shipped to. I also found out that a CR prefix does not automatically make it a cloud 9. Although it has all the same attributes, they dont consider it one. Pretty cool.

Dane

Well, according to the Gibson rep on the phone, the CR prefix simply means chambered reissue. Not cloud 9. The cloud 9s were only delivered to the three dealers that struck the deal with Gibson. They are pretty well documented on the internet, I think it was Wilwood, Music Man? and one other. My CR was sent to the dealer called California Vintage Guitars which would exlude mine from that cloud 9 designation. He also said that Gibson does not make the CRs as cloud 9s anymore. I called California Vintage to see what I could find from them and they said the CRs in general are identical to the cloud 9s that were produced back in the day, but unless they were purchased prior to 2006 and from those three dealers specifically, they shouldn't be referred to as cloud 9s.

It doesnt bother me too much though, as this iced tea burst with the figured top I just bought has to be the nicest guitar I have ever seen or played. It really is a work of art.

Dane

Archived