Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson/Epiphone Spotlight Info needed... - Gibson Brands Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson/Epiphone Spotlight Info needed... Rare or oddball...perhaps a bit of both.

#21 User is offline   Lance (Too Many Guitars) 

• Group: Members
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Oh by the way bigneil, check out this link, they should have a truss rod cover.
http://www.terraping...sRodCovers.html

#22 User is offline   jmcbrg 

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Finally getting some good info on these things! Excellent! Had mine for 6 or 7 years now. I just ordered the posts from Bernd, now I need to get the tremolo arm, and tuning screws, and actually the small wedge shaped things that go against these posts... Does anyone know of a set up guide for these tremolos? Also might need the little wedge shaped things that go into the top part; the bit that goes up against the posts.

#23 User is offline   Be.eM 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

View Postjmcbrg, on 17 October 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

I just ordered the posts from Bernd,

Yep. Did the Paypal invoice arrive? I've sent it yesterday.

now I need to get the tremolo arm,

You get this one here: Tim Small's tremolo arms. Tim makes them for the Steinberger R-Trem, but they are exactly the same as on the KB trem.

and tuning screws,

You've seen that I'm selling tuning screws too (bottom of page)? I just don't have any more original black ones.

and actually the small wedge shaped things that go against these posts...

The knife edges. I have to look tomorrow if I have some spare (used) ones.

Does anyone know of a set up guide for these tremolos?

1. Lock trem.
2. Tune the guitar to pitch.
3. Unlock trem.
4. Use the small lever on the back to rotate the (hidden) cog to adjust the spring tension. If you pull the lever up (away from the guitar), you can move it horizontally without turning the cog, if you push it down (into the bridge), you rotate the cog with each horizontal movement.
5. Adjust the spring tension so that the unlocked position is exactly the same as the locked position, and the guitar is in tune in both cases.

Bernd
Steinieland (European Steinberger Users)
Bernd's Guitar Pages

#24 User is offline   Be.eM 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

View Postjmcbrg, on 17 October 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

Does anyone know of a set up guide for these tremolos?

Update: since the question "how to set up a Steinberger KB trem" is asked again and again, and there is no official manufacturer's documentation, I finally did the next step and created some setup instructions with pictures [smile]

You can now download these instructions (PDF) from my KB trem page.

Bernd
Steinieland (European Steinberger Users)
Bernd's Guitar Pages

#25 User is offline   eggs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

View Postbigneil, on 07 October 2010 - 05:52 AM, said:

Where did you find them all? . I really like the metallic red one, never seen that before.

Been meaning to ask you what the hell a Spotlight Nouveau is... Now I know!
Stuart

1997 Epiphone (Cort) DC Junior - 'The Sweathog'
1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000 Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
xxxx J&D Luthiers Telecaster - 'Mate'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio with JBL 3 Series Monitors

Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!

Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#26 User is offline   bigneil 

• British Watts are Louder !
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

there is a really nice all original CMT version with the non stienberger floating trem up on uk evilbay at the mo

My link

#27 User is offline   Alan Jankowski 

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Talking about setting up these KB trems...I just got Bernd's posts and adjuster, along with the spring...hacksawed the pedestals off, ground it down with a Dremel...it all looks good...I glued back a chip of paint that came off because of the bent posts...and waiting for the glue to set before putting it all together...took pictures here...

My question though about setup...how the heck do you adjust the intonation on one of these things? I would guess by sliding the bridge pieces up and down, since they just sit in the trem apparently held in place by nothing but string pressure...does this mean I have to adjust the intonation every time I change the strings? Tell me this isn't so...here's the pics btw...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Ross59 

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostDawgupp, on 09 September 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

Hey All,

Off the wall question of the day...

I have a Gibson/Epiphone Nouveau Spotlight. It appears all original including the black EMG pickups, black Steinberger bridge without a whammy bar, black tuners and is the natural wood top with a neck through design. It's kinda heavy but the sustain is amazing & the guitar is simple in its layout. Uncomplicated is good. And it is in amazing condition... [thumbup]

I have been told these were manufactured in late 1988 perhaps into early 1989, overseas (Japan I believe) and assembled here at Gibson Nashville. Urban legend has it that PRS sued Gibson because of the similarities and Gibson figured why bother so production ceased at about 100 to 150 guitars. They came in black or white as well as the natural wood top...any serial number that was on it was possibly a sticker because I can't find a thing and I don't want to take the guitar apart. The guitar came with a Gibson "chainsaw" case, no paper work or manuals or anything at all, not a surprise considering its age.

I took it to a recent vintage guitar show up in Santa Monica. Lots of interest because of the chainsaw case but when I told them it wasn't a Les Paul and was a Spotlight all I got were blank stares and "huh?". Lots of people wanted to see it and only one dealer seemed to have any idea what it was.

I have found little of anything on them other than a small bit of info at MyRareGuitars.com. The guitar at myrareguitars looks exactly as mine does. I tried downloading a picture of my guitar but had no luck. Apparently I am computer challenged...anyway any help or info that someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time!

Jay in the OC

Greetings All,

Have one of these. Just putting it right with ordering new posts. Oddly enough, when buying this the owner clued me in to the post problem and the fix. I immediately went and checked my Epi fixed neck Firebird. I have played the Firebird less than 10 hours since it was bought 20 years ago, so I was surprised.

I was originally under the impression these were Del Rays but the set neck and Steinberger trem, set them apart.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users