Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Les Paul Robot MCK screw

JJJJJJJ

Hi.

I've bought a Les Paul Robot (desert sunburst) sometime during the summer this year.

Somehow, I've already managed to lose the tiny hex screw that tightens the MCK knob, and the metal cap often falls off as a result, therefore limiting my use of the self-tuning function.

That being said, I don't recall ever seeing the actual screw on the knob, but I can't confirm with the retailer now, as I had bought the guitar overseas. (No, it was not in China.)

So, is there any way I can get my hands on a replacement part? I've tried various hardware stores and music shops, but no one stocks screws that small. And I don't want to use anything like superglue, because I've had very bad experiences with that stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Robot guitar is a finicky critter full of surprises. My knob pulled off, aluminum ring & faceplate button separating from each other and leaving the bare LED circuit board underneath flapping in the wind. I crawled around on the ground for about 90 min looking for the hex screw.

Finally, I took out the tiniest Allen wrench that came with the guitar and put it in the screw hole to see if anything was in there. Behold, the impossibly small screw WAS in there, the knob & faceplate popped off because they are friction-fit (seems counter-intuitive). I was able to unscrew the knob, realign & refit all the components and have a working guitar again.

Long story short, check the screw hole if this happens to you. But also a word to Gibson: at least 2 of these replacement screws should be provided with every Robot guitar - it's crazy that missing such a tiny blip of metal could render a guitar of this cost and caliber useless.

• 1 year later...

The Robot guitar is a finicky critter full of surprises. My knob pulled off, aluminum ring & faceplate button separating from each other and leaving the bare LED circuit board underneath flapping in the wind. I crawled around on the ground for about 90 min looking for the hex screw.

Finally, I took out the tiniest Allen wrench that came with the guitar and put it in the screw hole to see if anything was in there. Behold, the impossibly small screw WAS in there, the knob & faceplate popped off because they are friction-fit (seems counter-intuitive). I was able to unscrew the knob, realign & refit all the components and have a working guitar again.

Long story short, check the screw hole if this happens to you. But also a word to Gibson: at least 2 of these replacement screws should be provided with every Robot guitar - it's crazy that missing such a tiny blip of metal could render a guitar of this cost and caliber useless.

what size is the hex bolt... im replacing my knob and dont have that allen... mine is one size too big

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The screw is M2x4, and the Allen key that you need is 0.9mm. The screw holds the "inners" of the MCK onto the the push/pull pot post. The ring/knob that holds the led display into place is indeed friction fit, which is a useless design.