Gibson Brands Forums

Any help with info here would be appreciated

Photogazer

Hello,

I am trying this site to see if I can get some info on this guitar. It is a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Lite Pro II, as far as I have been able to discover so far. It is painted in Nuclear Yellow. I have seen very few of these guitars, and I was trying to find production numbers, years in production, value, etc.. If anyone here can give me some useful info without making disparaging comments about my guitar, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

post-25576-057592600 1284253397_thumb.jpg

post-25576-007758200 1284253411_thumb.jpg

post-25576-005559100 1284253432_thumb.jpg

The Les Paul Studio Lite was made from 1987 to 1998. It was orignally available in Alpine White or nuclear yellow finish. Production totals are not available unfortunately.

Regarding value, my best suggestion is to check the Blue Book of guitars or a vintage/used instrument dealer.

The Les Paul Studio Lite was made from 1987 to 1998. It was orignally available in Alpine White or nuclear yellow finish. Production totals are not available unfortunately.

Regarding value, my best suggestion is to check the Blue Book of guitars or a vintage/used instrument dealer.

So, this is NOT a Lite Pro II? The Studio Lite guitars that I have seen look much different than this. Was this the first iteration of the Studio Lite, and then they changed it to look more like a standard Les Paul? Any more details? I am trying to find out as much as I can about my guitar, but info on this guitar is really scarce.

Thanks

This appears to be a Les Paul Studio Lite as it has 2 of the skinny pickups. I've not actually ever heard of a Les Paul Lite Pro II. There was a Junior Pro made in 1988 that had just one of the skinny pickups in the bridge position. And there was a Studio Lite with M-III electronics. So maybe there is some confusion on the internet and there is some melding of the names of the different models.

But this appears to be the early version of the Les Paul Studio Lite. The pickups where changed in 1991 to regular humbucking (full sized) pickups and also trapazoid inlays. So the majority of these made (1991-1998) will have thoses specs which would explain why most of the ones you see don't look like yours.

When the Studio lite was introduced in 1987 it had the 2 special pickups, a coil tap switch, ebony fingerboard with dot inlay and was actually available in Ebony as well as Alpine White and Nuclear yellow (I forgot to add that in my inital post). In 1989 it was equipped with a Floyd Rose vibrato. In addition to the aforementioned change in pickups and change to trapezoid inlays, throughout the 90's it got various changes in colors available and a little back and forth between black chrome and gold hardware before being discontinued in 1998.

This appears to be a Les Paul Studio Lite as it has 2 of the skinny pickups. I've not actually ever heard of a Les Paul Lite Pro II. There was a Junior Pro made in 1988 that had just one of the skinny pickups in the bridge position. And there was a Studio Lite with M-III electronics. So maybe there is some confusion on the internet and there is some melding of the names of the different models.

But this appears to be the early version of the Les Paul Studio Lite. The pickups where changed in 1991 to regular humbucking (full sized) pickups and also trapazoid inlays. So the majority of these made (1991-1998) will have thoses specs which would explain why most of the ones you see don't look like yours.

When the Studio lite was introduced in 1987 it had the 2 special pickups, a coil tap switch, ebony fingerboard with dot inlay and was actually available in Ebony as well as Alpine White and Nuclear yellow (I forgot to add that in my inital post). In 1989 it was equipped with a Floyd Rose vibrato. In addition to the aforementioned change in pickups and change to trapezoid inlays, throughout the 90's it got various changes in colors available and a little back and forth between black chrome and gold hardware before being discontinued in 1998.

Thanks for the info. The dealer told me that it was a Studio Lite when I bought it in 1988. After that, every time I saw a Studio Lite, it was the larger body with the larger humbucking pickup. Anyway, that caused some confusion for me, but I am glad to know what I have. I am not going to sell it any time soon, and mine is in mint condition. If you ever hear of the production numbers, I sure would like to know. I have heard that they were not very many made, but I have nothing to back that up.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Some people just can't help themselves when it comes to posting negative comments...

I have one identical to that. Also a 1988 Les Paul Studio Lite. Exact color, config, etc. Yours is the only other I've seen that's just like it. I also have a black one that's an 1989 with a Steinberger tremolo, otherwise the same.

I've also had trouble finding numbers, info, etc. But one person did reply on another forum that a 1988 Les Paul Studio Lite has a book value if all original and in excellent condition, of $725-900.

Personally, I love these guitars! The Yellow is a bit embarassing unless you play in an 80's Tribute band, but I've considered getting my Nuclear Yellow refinished in a natural color. Though, I like the yellow much better than a true 80's color like pink or purple. The yellow reminds me of the color of some of my favorite cars, so I appreciate it more than most people. :)

I'd also like any additional info you are able to collect about these models. Please email me direct at wadelanham at hotmail dot com. The information posted above by Rame is consistent with what I've seen and probably the most complete information I've seen posted.

Thanks,

Wade

• 4 years later...

Well, it has been quite a few years and I still have my 1988 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite in Nuclear Yellow. Since then, I have also acquired a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Junior Pro 1, also in Nuclear Yellow. The Junior Pro 1 was missing the tremolo, and given the issues with that tremolo system, I decided to block in the tremolo rout and replace it with a standard tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece. The photo is attached of both of the 1988 Gibson Les Pauls in Nuclear Yellow.

post-25576-063781700 1430161081_thumb.jpg

I guess you got my PM earlier today.. Great!!

Love both your Nuclear Yellow Gibbys!! They're Unique!!

You did a really nice job filling in the trem on the Jr. Pro 1 too, Looks most excellent IMO..

That prototype Studio Lite is very cool & have only seen a couple like it over at MyLesPaulForum

Here's the factory photo with the Steinberger KB Trem

80sLite.jpg

Both of those guitars are insanely cool. I've not heard of the model before, so a learning experience for me her, today!

That term looks like some weird floyd; what were the aforementioned issues?

That's a Steinberger KB Trem, I once had a Gibson U2 with that Tremolo & being it was mint had no issues..

They tend to have the trem posts lean forward toward the neck, This can be repaired with a new designed stainless post..See Link..

Fixing The Steinberger KB Trem

There kinda hard to come across now days but are out there, I too would have either filled the trem cavity or tried a Kahler or Schaller if it could have been made to work?

I will have to say that the finished product looks factory & with those early prototype pickups & that nuclear yellow just screams 80s to me..

Congrats on the pair of Prototype 1988 Les Pauls Photogazer

Gonna go down to the dungeon & polish the frets, clean the rosewood fretboard, glue in the nut & get the 1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite MIII up & running, It's had the strings off for 10 days now just waiting for me to get time..

I'll post a thread about it in the future when I get er tested some more with new strings & action setup..

ROCK ON!!

Here's The Les Paul Studio Lite MIII

Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Studio%20Lite%20MIII.jpg

Thanks Headknocker. They are kind of rare guitars, for sure, but not exactly in high demand due to the color. Of course, everyone knows that the color of the guitar has a huge effect on the sound and playability (Not!).

I had a 1988 Gibson Flying V in Antique White that had the same tremolo. I did repair that tremolo because I had all the parts. There are two issues with that tremolo system.

Issue #1 is the posts you mentioned. The posts are weak and bend toward the headstock, making the tremolo nonfunctional. The solution is new posts made from Stainless steel, and sold in Germany.

Issue #2 is the tremolo spring and the spring caps and post. The post is a threaded rod that threads through the spring and caps on each end of the spring. This rod strips its threads, which strips the threads in the caps. The solution is a full replacement with stainless steel as well.

Repairs for the Steinberger KB tremolo on that guitar cost me about $80 just for the 2 posts and the tension adjuster. I since sold the guitar to a guy in Russia.

The stop tailpiece solution for the Lite Pro 1 was the best option for me. Since I build guitars here at Overacker Guitars, I was able to easily make the repair. Plus, I tend to avoid tremolo guitars, so the stop tailpiece made sense for my playing style. It sounds and plays great, so I will keep it for a while.

Archived