Gibson Brands Forums

Tremalo on the E string?

rcwilk

Hi,

I had some questions about playing blues temelo (bend and vibrate strings) - and they particularly relate to gibsons, which I find most often have a quick bevel off on the metal frets. This means the bends can only go so far in the off-fretboard direction. I'm actually using at home a gibson that has less of that bevel problem (an 80's The Paul solid body) but the problem still exists for me. (and on all guitars) What forum would this topic be best posted? ie how to get great tremalo on the high e string? (or today, actually I have it tuned 1/2 down for The Sky is Crying - SVR version, so Eb... which if you know the lead, you know what I mean about high e tremalo).

Thanks! RC

Hi. I don't have the answer but I also tend to pull the high e off the fretboard alot, on both my SG and Strat. (it is very frustrating esp. when you have a good sound going) I read your post in another forum section and one reply was practice which I totally agree with but I would love to hear some other tips also if anyone has any. Maybe we are just a bit to aggressive with the "shake"?

Well, maybe it's dumb what I'm going to say but I've never experienced this problem since I generally bend the 3 lower strings downside, and the 3 higher strings upside, not always since it depends where I go, but usually.

I mean, bending up or down gives the same result, right? Or you vibrate both directions which double the vibrato but don't remember having seen this, not a good technique I guess.

Or maybe I didn't catch the issue at all :)

Ben.

Archived