Gibson Brands Forums

Doing my Senior Product Design Project on Recording Equipment

tdeluna

Hi everybody, my name is Tomas DeLuna, and I’m a senior in Product Design at CCS (College for Creative Studies) in Detroit. I also happen to be a hobbyist guitarist, and I like to shred on my Ibanez JEM. I prefer music such as All that Remains, All Shall Perish, Underoath, etc.

I’m also posting this on Fender.com, Gibson.com, Ibanez.com, and various cities in Craigslist.com.

The reason I’m posting is I’d like to do my Senior Project on designing a solution for guitar improv out in the field. I did a REALLY ROUGH sketch (scroll down below) of a “device” to serve as a starting point, and to prove I'm a real person doing a college project. It’s the beginning of the semester, and I’m in the research phase, so I’d like to make educated guesses about the next recording solution for the semi-pro to professional guitarist.

I’d like to discuss about your recording gear, portable and non-portable. Also, explain what you like about your gear, what you don’t like, and why. Either through pictures and typing, or even better yet using a camera and posting on Youtube! It can be as fancy as your 20,000-dollar studio, to even just a cassette recorder, the more then better!

If you guys have posted reviews about recording gear on Youtube, could you post links?

I’d also like to select the 1 or 2 most vocal people to send out a “Mr. Potato Head” kit. This kit will be comprised of little foam core boxes and Velcro bits and pieces so that people can design their own recorder so I can gain feedback. There will be money compensation upon completion for these people! I haven’t decided the amount, but I’m thinking $30+ (I can only do so much, I’m a student ☺) per person I send this kit to. I can do Paypal, or check, your preference! This stage I’d like to have completed by mid October.

The final result from my project will be a video piece (research included), a 3D CAD model, and a physical non-working appearance prototype. Any video I use, I’ll give you full credit, along with your Youtube username and link.

This is the real deal, you can google my full name (Jose Tomas DeLuna) and see I’m a real person and have also designed a music-based concept phone. My senior project is only for academic purposes, there are no companies (thankfully) attached to this project, so any help is infinitely appreciated!

Please any questions, feel more than free to ask here!

Also, I’d like to post progress pics on my online portfolio on Coroflot (an online design portfolio site). Linky here:

http://www.coroflot.com/deluna

Here's a rough sketch for a starting point.

startingpoint.jpg

Archived