Gibson Brands Forums

For Those In the '61 RI w/Maestro Club

lous1952

One of the 2000-2001 run of these just sold on ebay for $2,425.

I'm not sure, but that might be a high water mark for one of these.

That's more than the Custom Shop versions are getting these days.

I have to laugh when I read the guys on the Les Paul Forums rant on about how much better the Custom Shop version is than the '61 RI w/Maestro.

The VOS CS version is lucky to get $2k on ebay, and some have gone for substantially less.

These same guys also go on about how much better the Custom Shop Historic ES-335 is so much better than the regular version.

The differences are minimal, but the Historic costs $2k more than the regular version.

Both versions have laminated bodies and long neck tenons, though they're shaped slightly differently, but these guys think that some how the Historic sounds better.

I'd bet my last dollar that they could not tell the difference in a blind test, with the ES-335 or with the SGs, with both having the same pickups.

The recent ebay sale:

'61 SG w/Maestro

I'm open to offers. It's not the faded version, 2001 model. email me for pics: yel911@comcast.net

Also, the guitar is a 9.5 out of 10. The .5 goes to scratches in the pickguard, NO, I mean, NOTHING in the finish!!!!

It's awesome....that's why I'd like to sell it, I can't touch it!!!! I need something to enjoy, not stare at!!!

I have to laugh when I read the guys on the Les Paul Forums rant on about how much better the Custom Shop version is than the '61 RI w/Maestro.

The VOS CS version is lucky to get $2k on ebay' date=' and some have gone for substantially less.

These same guys also go on about how much better the Custom Shop Historic ES-335 is so much better than the regular version.

The differences are minimal, but the Historic costs $2k more than the regular version.

Both versions have laminated bodies and long neck tenons, though they're shaped slightly differently, but these guys think that some how the Historic sounds better.

I'd bet my last dollar that they could not tell the difference in a blind test, with the ES-335 or with the SGs, with both having the same pickups.[/quote']

I agree, the differences are minimal. For me, a part of the attraction is the exclusivity. A lot of people own guitars...some own Gibsons...a few own Gibson Standards...and even fewer own Gibson Custom Shop guitars.

I own a Custom Shop LP and LP Standard. The Custom is a bit heavier and has a richer tone than the Standard does. Aside from that, what are the real differences...hotter pickups, better tuners and one extra inlay on the fretboard? Hardly worth an extra $1,500...but again, you're paying for something that few other people have.

You could draw a comparison with exotic sports cars. A Ferrari Enzo does not cost $650,000 to make, you're paying for the exclusiveness and the status.

Just my two cents.

I have, and have had quite a few Custom Shop Gibsons.

In fact, I have some very nice ones on ebay right now.

1968 RI LP

Carved Flame LP

And a 335 which is as nice as any Historic 335.

ES-335

I have still more that I'm not selling.

Nonetheless, there is a question of value for the differences involved.

The differences between the '61 RI w/Maestro and the VOS Custom Shop version are not worth the difference in the cost.

I generally don't like the VOS finish, so I prefer my '61 RI w/Maestro on that basis alone.

Historic series Custom Shop LPs had solid 1-piece bodies until this year.

Now even some of them are chambered.

Without the solid, lightweight 1-piece body with long neck tenon, what other advantage do the CS LPs really have?

You can always change hardware.

As for the 335, the historic doesn't even have the advantage of better wood.

The laminated bodies are the same.

For $2k difference the hardware details are not worth it.

Archived