Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-7

stormingomaha

I recently got a good deal on a Gibson L-7 and am now trying to date it. I have consulted the Gibson site and tons of other sites and blogs.

I am confused as there is some inconsistancies. Does anyone know if the L-7 had the "picture frame" inlays on the fretboard after the 1930's? I am trying to find other models like the one I have. Some blogs state that no picture frames were made after the 30's yet the Gibson site info puts my guitar in the 1960's. Not sure. I am sure it is not from the 30's; it looks too good. Yet no where can I find similar L-7 models with the picture frame inlays other than the models from the 30's.

Please shoot me some ideas. I can send pics if that will help.

Thx

From late '35 to sometime in '42 the L-7 had the fingerboard rectangles. The L-10 and L-12 also had them for a period ('34-'35). Gibson medium/high end archtops are fairly easy to ID and date, and their serial numbers are fully documented until about 1963 (when they started with the six-digit numbers).

Features such as the "Gibson" logo, headstock and fingerboard inlays, serial numbers, hardware, finishes, body dimensions, etc, are all things that changed over the years for each model, and must all be considered for accurate information.

Post detailed photos, serial number, body dimensions, etc, and I'm sure the folks around here will be able to help. OR, PM me and I'll see what I can dig up out of my library of Gibson guitar info.

Archived