Gibson Brands Forums

Refretting a Les Paul

katetot

I just want to get some inputs regarding refrets on LP's. Lp's has bindings that extends to the frets. I was thinking if there are some people here who took off the extra plastic that extends to the frets and extended the frets instead? Thanks! [mellow]

Here's a picture..look at the edges that connects the binding and the frets.

P1080898.jpg

... Lp's has bindings that extends to the frets. I was thinking if there are some people here who took off the extra plastic that extends to the frets and extended the frets instead?

The fret ends are beveled - are you saying you want them crowned to the ends and cut straight (no bevel)? That would be uncomfortable as hell. Are you having trouble with the high E string slipping off the fret end?

Those frets look like they're in good shape. If anything, just a crown and dress, not new frets.

The fret ends are beveled - are you saying you want them crowned to the ends and cut straight (no bevel)? That would be uncomfortable as hell. Are you having trouble with the high E string slipping off the fret end?

Those frets look like they're in good shape. If anything, just a crown and dress, not new frets.

Your right. E string slips and sometimes get stuck between the fret and binding. Here's a video of a re-fretted Custom.

He took off the extended binding that connects to the fret. It gives extra space for vibrato and pull-offs.

Archived