Gibson Brands Forums

New Member and SG Owner

lockbody

Hi all,

I posted over on the "Introduce Yourself" forum, but I'd like to say HI and share a quick pic of two guitars which have quickly become my number one and two.

I've been playing about 30 years, and most of that time has been on a Fender Strat, and the last fifteen I've really been into Hamers. About every ten years or so I'd get the jones for a Les Paul, but just never bonded with them, The last one I bought, a beautiful Desert Burst Std. lasted a whole three weeks in my possession. I just always thought that "Gibsons just aren't for me.".

Fast forward to about three months ago. After previously trying a SG Special that I flipped to buy an amp I had been after, I knew I wanted to get another one at some point. Well one day I walked into one of my local haunts to buy some strings when I saw a used '61 reissue up on the wall. Now normally when I'm thinking about buying a guitar I call the wife and ask how we're doing on the ol' finances because I was kinda looking at getting another guitar, maybe.... but when I found out the price he wanted for this one I called her and said "I just bought a SG. See you when I get home." Man! I wish I had discovered these things years ago, because it sure would have saved me some money on guitars down the road! I don't know how I've avoided them all these years, but this one is like an old friend I haven't seen in forever. Every practice, every show, I pick it up first meaning to play one of my others at some point, but at the end it's still in my hands. Love at first sight just seems so inadequate a term. It's all stock except for a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge position. I tried a Duncan Custom in it for a while, but I really kind of like the BB2. I'm a tinker at heart, so I know I'll try something else in there, but for now it stays. I do find the neck 57 a tad muddy through my rig, but I think I'll try a RS kit in there to see it it helps first.

Then last month I was trolling Craigslist out of habit and ran into a Natural Burst Std. I thought I wouldn't like the rounded neck compared to the 60s neck of the '61, but I've grown quite fond of it. A nice contrast, if you will. However, feeling flush with humbucker equipped guitars, I was thinking of flipping it and trying a SG Classic, when a couple of BG Pure 90s came up for sale on one of the other boards I'm on. Those things are pretty damn neat! I think I might like them better with 500k pots instead of the stock 300k, but those pickups really have that P90 thing going. Another keeper.

I'm pretty set now. I think, but at some point I would like to try and score a '65 SG as that's the year of my birth, but being the sole wage earner for my family that day may, or may not ever get here. We'll see.

And now, some pr0n! I need to get some better pics for sure.

post-25940-050561000 1285707422_thumb.jpg

Very nice choices. The '61 is a total classic and the BB2 is awesome. The natural finish is cool and you don't see it too much and that Standard is really cool with those p90s.

I've recently become interested in Hamers although the SG is definately my favorite guitar. I'll probably buy more Gibsons before I get a Hamer though.

Thanks guys!

Dub, Hamer definitely makes some bad to the bone guitars, many of them Gibson based/influenced. Most are excellent values on the used market for the caliber of guitar you get. Below I've attached a pic of my last Hamer, an '85 Vector. I've gone through a lot of Hamers, and this one is the last one standing.

post-25940-090150300 1285715742_thumb.jpg

Archived