Gibson Brands Forums

Date that Gibson Archtop

bitt

Here is a Gibson Archtop a business partner and I have. I was hoping to get a hand dating it. On the back of the headstock, at the very top (just behind the gibson inlay) is stamped into the wood FG-2089. I am wondering if this is a 1905 as we have been told. A sense of value would be helpful as well, but we care most about the date.

Condition is worse than you would like with two missing pegs at the top. Seperation to the bottom where the two pieces making up the sides meet as well as the back being seperated from the sides. Fortunately it is the connections that are seperated and the wood itself is in good shape (no cracks,chips,etc). As far as we can tell most all of the wood pieces are present so it could be fixed up good.

Soory for the small pictures, it is all we can get for the time being.

post-26059-096982900 1286210228_thumb.jpg

post-26059-049151600 1286210234_thumb.jpg

post-26059-073721500 1286210290_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing it's a 1940 L-50. No idea as to value. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay you right then. It looks like it's been hiding in a cellar or barn for a long time so don't expect to get top dollar out of it just because it's old. It would need to go to a qualified repair shop and gone through, which could be $50 or $500.

Archived