Gibson Brands Forums

59 Murphy

BlackRider

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a Murphy 59 Reissue. I can choose between 2 Yamano Murphy aged 59'ers.

First 1 is a 99 Model and the other 1 from 2005 HRM.Both are very beautifull,nice tops about same weight.

Hard to choose.Only I know is 99 was 40th anniversary and the 2005 has more excact specs in electronics ....

Anybody some advice on this? I know its a luxury problem,but maybe somebody can help me with choosing =D> !!!

Play each one of them for a few minutes, it will become obvious which one sounds and feels better to you. You can talk specs and finishes and hardware all day long, but what it really comes down to is the way the guitar plays and sounds. When you find the right one, you'll know it.

I played both for a while and choose the 2005. The pickups sounded better for me. They had a brighter sound,less mids and less "muddy". I compared with a 57 Goldtop Murphy and the 99 sounded more similar to the 57.I guess the pickups are BB in 2005 and 57's in the 99.

Seller told me 2005 was HRM. Maybe, if so, that gives a brighter sound. Both are also Murphy's from Yamano Japan.

Both beautifull guitars, wish could have them both !!!

Archived