Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61 Reissue with vibrola

NotAaliable

So, i'm thinking of installing a vibrola on my reissue just because i think it gets some extra appeal

it's just too empty with the half pickguard.

so what do you guys think?

I've already asked a some people about it and they got horrified because it would lose it's value.

the fact that i'm going to drill a hole on the guitar DOES bother me,but i'm thinking of asking a luthier to do it.

I don't have my reissue yet (on my hands) but i'm first going to play it when i can to see if it is necessary.

That would be really amazing but i'm gonna pick up my guitar on a trip by the end of the year

and getting vibramate stuff from where i live (Brazil) is impossible.

i'll just wait then [tongue]

Yes......It's always a money problem...........someone really needs to fix it...........

I agree 100%

The 61' RI has a neck joint at the 22nd fret. In the early 60's they had problems with vibrolas bending the neck at the same time as the strings. That is the other reason that Gibson started making SG's with the neck joint at the 19th fret. The other reason is alot of early 60's guitar were prone to neck breaks. I wouldn't do it if it was my guitar! [thumbdn] Read the passage under the photo of the guitar.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_sg.html

Rewd.

The 61' RI has a neck joint at the 22nd fret. In the early 60's they had problems with vibrolas bending the neck at the same time as the strings. That is the other reason that Gibson started making SG's with the neck joint at the 19th fret. The other reason is alot of early 60's guitar were prone to neck breaks. I wouldn't do it if it was my guitar! [thumbdn] Read the passage under the photo of the guitar.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_sg.html

Rewd.

I appreciate that reply so much

thank you, you prevented me from doing something i would completely regret =D>

http://www.kellyindu.../gibson_sg.html

Rewd.

They have obviously since fixed this. Look at the guitar in my previous post. That is the Historic Reissue SG. almost the same thing as the 61' RI with the neck joint at the 22nd fret. It has the Maestro.

They have obviously since fixed this. Look at the guitar in my previous post. That is the Historic Reissue SG. almost the same thing as the 61' RI with the neck joint at the 22nd fret. It has the Maestro.

I see what you mean Tman,

I still wouldn't do it to a 61' RI. Like you said go out and get the Historic Reissue if you don't like the looks of the 61'RI. Hopefully the whiplash effect has been removed from the newer guitars.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2001 SG '61 reissue that came from factory with maestro vibrola installed and it is doing fine. That option was available in 2001.

Just curious. Do you have the neck joint at the 22nd fret and a 60's slim tapered neck? That's the profile that had problems in the early 60's. There was a whiplash effect when the tremelo was to extreme.

Just curious. Do you have the neck joint at the 22nd fret and a 60's slim tapered neck? That's the profile that had problems in the early 60's. There was a whiplash effect when the tremelo was to extreme.

Yes, exactly what I have. No problems yet. Hope I never have them either. I wailed on the tremolo in both directions last night and, aside from minor tuning calibrations that were needed, ,verything was fine. Though I will say there is alotta play in the trem arm because it is connected to the tailpiece with one screw, and if it isn't tightened adequately, the trem arm moves about 1/8 inch before it starts "tremming". Not the most responsivwe trem system, but the coolest looking for and SG in my opinion. Maybe I don't have it set up for maximum performance either. But I rarely use it. Seems to only raise or lower pitch by only one whole step.

• 5 years later...

Hi all!

I know this is an old topic, but I had a few questions.

My Gibson herd consists of a '69 ES-335 TDC, and a 60's Classic Les Paul (circa 1999).

I've been wanting to get an SG for lots of years, and have always loved the look of the 60's ones with the Maestro/Vibrola/Lyre tailpiece.

There is a 2001 '61 Reissue SG with the factory Lyre tailpiece for sale in my area for $1,500 and from the pics, looks pristine. (It is a Gibson USA version, not a Custom Shop or Historical)

I've seen differing opinions on the '61 Reissue SGs here, so I wanted to see if there were any more thoughts.

My biggest concern was the talk of the neck joined at the 22nd fret possibly causing tuning issues (Vibrola bending the neck)

Some said that was an issue back in the early sixties, but Gibson fixed it.

Would this have been addressed in a 2001 '61 Reissue SG with the Vibrola, or did Gibson re-issue the defect as well? :)

I would be using the Vibrola, but sparingly.

I'd love to hear from any present/past owners of one, circa 2001, or anyone with some experience with them.

Thanks so much!

Boots

Hello Boots and welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

To my informations the neck joint problem - as far as there had been some ever - is part of the design regardless of the Maestro vibrola. I can't complain about the neck joints of my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, and they are true to the early 1960's SGs. The vibrola, however, is of very little use. The roller bridges I retrofitted allow for easier and more stable tuning than the stock bridge that tends to wobble to and fro - perhaps this is the very problem -, but that's it. The FZ "Roxy" SG's flat bar doesn't allow for severe bendings, but by far enough to push or pull the guitar significantly out of tune.

I have to say though that the FZ "Roxy" SG comes with a Nashville bridge that can easily be replaced with the Schaller STMC - it's a drop-in mod. I don't know what to do with a period-correct ABR-1 without modding the guitar.

On the other hand, if I leave the vibrola alone and put the flat bar right across the string suspension before closing the case lid, the tuning stability is fine. I don't know for sure how to handle the vibrola with the common lever, but I didn't have any problems with the 1960's SG neck joints since mid-2013.

Hope this helps.

Hello Boots and welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

To my informations the neck joint problem - as far as there had been some ever - is part of the design regardless of the Maestro vibrola. I can't complain about the neck joints of my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, and they are true to the early 1960's SGs. The vibrola, however, is of very little use. The roller bridges I retrofitted allow for easier and more stable tuning than the stock bridge that tends to wobble to and fro - perhaps this is the very problem -, but that's it. The FZ "Roxy" SG's flat bar doesn't allow for severe bendings, but by far enough to push or pull the guitar significantly out of tune.

I have to say though that the FZ "Roxy" SG comes with a Nashville bridge that can easily be replaced with the Schaller STMC - it's a drop-in mod. I don't know what to do with a period-correct ABR-1 without modding the guitar.

On the other hand, if I leave the vibrola alone and put the flat bar right across the string suspension before closing the case lid, the tuning stability is fine. I don't know for sure how to handle the vibrola with the common lever, but I didn't have any problems with the 1960's SG neck joints since mid-2013.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man! So, what I am getting is that the neck joint may have been a non-issue, and that any tuning problem with the Vibrola could be addressed with the Schaller STM roller bridge? Great guitar you have! The FZ Roxy looks cool! Still wish I could get some definitive thoughts from any actual 2001 61 reissue w/Vibrola owners though! [confused]

That looks sweet! Seems to be the same as the reissue I am looking at except a 2013 model instead of the 2001 I am considering. Do you know if they differ in any way?

Well. looking at a 2001 version on Reverb, the only thing that jumps out, is the 2001 has a ABR bridge, and the 2013 SG "Original" has a Nashville bridge.

Other than that, they appear to be quite similar! The "Original" I have, is a Stellar version! And, as I didn't feel I could justify a CS version's price,

it filled the bill, quiet well, at 1/3 the cost (at that time). My Dealer had both...the CS version, and (several) SG Originals, so I had the chance to

compare them all, side by side, for looks, construction, finish, unplugged resonance, etc. I chose the Original, with no 2nd thoughts whatsoever! And,

not only because of price. It was more "lively" unplugged, and just as awesome sounding, plugged in, as the Custom Shop version. The one I finally chose

out of the 8 I had to compare to, has a fantastic grain pattern, in the body wood, as well. SO, I have NO regrets, whatsoever!

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man! So, what I am getting is that the neck joint may have been a non-issue, and that any tuning problem with the Vibrola could be addressed with the Schaller STM roller bridge? Great guitar you have! The FZ Roxy looks cool! Still wish I could get some definitive thoughts from any actual 2001 61 reissue w/Vibrola owners though! [confused]

I have a SG "original". Its just like the one pictured toward the top of this page. I put a bone nut & a Tone-Pros rollar bridge on it. After a couple years of gigging and hard practicing, this guitar is one of those that are in tune, right out of the case. I use the vibrola regularly, mainly for vibrato and its VERY comfortable. I think maybe they got the neck right cause its straight as a arrow, but I will keep a watch on it. Anyway, If it helps- I highly recommend a rollar bridge with the vibrola.

Well. looking at a 2001 version on Reverb, the only thing that jumps out, is the 2001 has a ABR bridge, and the 2013 SG "Original" has a Nashville bridge.

Other than that, they appear to be quite similar! The "Original" I have, is a Stellar version! And, as I didn't feel I could justify a CS version's price,

it filled the bill, quiet well, at 1/3 the cost (at that time). My Dealer had both...the CS version, and (several) SG Originals, so I had the chance to

compare them all, side by side, for looks, construction, finish, unplugged resonance, etc. I chose the Original, with no 2nd thoughts whatsoever! And,

not only because of price. It was more "lively" unplugged, and just as awesome sounding, plugged in, as the Custom Shop version. The one I finally chose

out of the 8 I had to compare to, has a fantastic grain pattern, in the body wood, as well. SO, I have NO regrets, whatsoever!

CB

No regrets from me either! I tell folks its the best $1300 new guitar I've ever had. I have a Custom Shop SG without the vibrola and the Original is just a better guitar. Its comfortable and sounds great. I guess they put 57 classics in it and I've had zero thoughts on replacing them. The bone nut & the Tone Pros rollar bridge I added made it tunable for the go! I think Gibson hit a home run with the Original!

Archived