Gibson Brands Forums

My new guitar

rebelyell06

I just bought a Gibson Studio Les Paul.I have a question. I ordered from muscians friend and all the pictures of the Studio les pauls have the same looking pickups in it, except for the Satin ebony, which I ordered. I know mine has the maple top instead of mahogony like the faded tops, but the pickups in mine aren't the one piece metal looking pick ups, but the double stacked looking pickups. Is that just a difference in the pictures or what? I know the faded finish comes with the burstbuckers and the finished come with the Alnico 490/498, but it never said which the satin ebony comes with, but they definately were different in the picture. Anybody know?

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar Features:

• Carved maple top and mahogany back (Mahogany top on faded finish models)
  • Mahogany neck, '59 Rounded Les Paul
  • Rosewood fingerboard (Ebony on Alpine white)
  • Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar
  • Chrome or gold hardware
  • 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups (BurstBucker Pro on faded finish models)
  • 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

hope this helps. you know it comes with a gig bag not a hardshell case right?

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar Features:

• Carved maple top and mahogany back (Mahogany top on faded finish models)
  • Mahogany neck, '59 Rounded Les Paul
  • Rosewood fingerboard (Ebony on Alpine white)
  • Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar
  • Chrome or gold hardware
  • 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups (BurstBucker Pro on faded finish models)
  • 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

hope this helps. you know it comes with a gig bag not a hardshell case right?

Thats exactly what I read on musicians friend, but it only says one thing about the satin, which is it doesn't come with a hard case. Thats what has me confused. The picture of my guitar on musicians friend looks different then the faded and regular finish. No pickgaurd and completely different looking pickups. And the one on here looks exactly like the one on musicians friend, but with a pickgaurd. And I'm confused as to whether mine has the maple top or not. I know the faded is all mahogany and the finished had the maple top. this website says all mahogany on the satin, but the description on musicians friend says only the faded ones were all mahogany. I know i'm gonna be pleased regardless, Id just kinda like to know what its got before it gets here and I'm totally confused.

Thats exactly what I read on musicians friend, but it only says one thing about the satin, which is it doesn't come with a hard case. Thats what has me confused. The picture of my guitar on musicians friend looks different then the faded and regular finish. No pickgaurd and completely different looking pickups. And the one on here looks exactly like the one on musicians friend, but with a pickgaurd. And I'm confused as to whether mine has the maple top or not. I know the faded is all mahogany and the finished had the maple top. this website says all mahogany on the satin, but the description on musicians friend says only the faded ones were all mahogany. I know i'm gonna be pleased regardless, Id just kinda like to know what its got before it gets here and I'm totally confused.

oh the pickup difference is that there is not a cover for the pickups. that silver thing that goes over the pickup can be removed to look like yours.

Um I think he has a tribute faded....stacked pickups meaning 6 not 12 pole pieces....could be a p90 and yes I know. P90's a single coil I'm just stating the 6 pole pieces. Also a faded w maple showing through on the edges........I think he had a tribute

Obviously a bit of confusion here. Might be helpful if the OP posts a link to the guitar he ordered (if there is one). Or if he knows the actual model name or number, post that or simply call Gibson Customer Service (they'd be the best bet for info on the top I think).

As to the pickups, I also read that as confusion over covered vs. uncovered Humbuckers. The covers do drastically change the look, and can be added if desired (if they don't come with them) or removed if you prefer (if they do come with them). But soldering is required (or heating solder for removal). My avatar (a Classic Antique) is an example of Humbuckers that are covered (and these came uncovered initially, the covers were added by the previous owner). This thread (Classic Antique Club) has many examples that were left as this model came, with uncovered pickups. The thread on the Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute has pics of those guitars, which show P90's in the guitars. HTH.

Uh.. T Bone.. I was asking REBELYELL06 if any of the pickups looked like his..

Doh! ](*,) So you were, sorry. Very nicely done graphic representation too! I made a mistake thinking the post was from him (I need to pay a bit more attention to what I'm reading sometimes!).

Sorry to interrupt, let's see what he's got as an answer to your helpful reply [thumbup]

Satin ebony studio has uncovered 490T & 498R pickups. I'm not sure about the maple cap though. My 2009 seems to have the exact same grain to the wood both front and back. Also, the satin finish is not very thick or durable. My strap rubbed through the finish on the top and bottom edge in a couple of small spots. The wood color showing through seems too dark on the top to be maple. Top and bottom seem to be the same.

This is confusing because the model is called Les Paul Studio Mahogany in Satin Ebony, but the Gibson website says it has a maple top. That makes no sense. Why would it be called Mahogany if it had a maple top like the normal Studio? I think the maple reference is in error. You can check out the link below for Gibson's "official" specifications.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Mahogany.aspx

Archived