Gibson Brands Forums

Epi sg junior bridge

MTHoople

I have an epi sg junior that my wife got me last Christmas. One thing that is driving me nuts is the intonation problem. I know this is a cheap guit, and I could trade it for something more expensive but... is there any bridge that has adjustable intonation that can fit this. I purchased a badass style bridge from guitarfetish, but it is too high even after trying to adjust it. It's flat against the body and the strings are very high around the pickups and then get closer towards the nut. Maybe just buying the Wilkinson with the adjustable g/b is the answer?

I have an epi sg junior that my wife got me last Christmas. One thing that is driving me nuts is the intonation problem. I know this is a cheap guit, and I could trade it for something more expensive but... is there any bridge that has adjustable intonation that can fit this. I purchased a badass style bridge from guitarfetish, but it is too high even after trying to adjust it. It's flat against the body and the strings are very high around the pickups and then get closer towards the nut. Maybe just buying the Wilkinson with the adjustable g/b is the answer?

I have never had a guitar with a wrap around style bridge, but, do they not usually have a grub screw at either side behind each post to allow the intonation to be adjusted? as in this picture.

37136_l.jpg

If not then i am sure that a suitable replacement part can be found, it's a pity the bridge you already bought is unsuitable [thumbdn]

If you are able to post some pictures it would be really helpful to us.

P.S welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I purchased a badass style bridge from guitarfetish, but it is too high even after trying to adjust it. It's flat against the body and the strings are very high around the pickups and then get closer towards the nut.

I had the same problem on an Epi Jr. and was able to get the Leo Quan-style bridge low enough by (gently) pulling out the stud bushings and grinding the flange off.

Here's a pic with the flange ground off on the left and still on, on the right:

640bridgestuds.jpg

A close up of bushing sans flange:

640bridgestuds2.jpg

That bolt-on Jr. didn't really have major intonation issues, and I eventually put the stock bushings and bridge back on because there wasn't much improvement with the Quan, but your guitar may need it.

I sold that one, but still have a 57' set-neck reissue with the wraparound bridge. On the '57 RI, the intonation is dead on, so no need to change it. Here they are together before the bolt-on left home for the big city:

P1020485.jpg

Seems to me that the neck needs to be shimmed for the proper angle, which is less drastic than grinding hardware.

And I often suspect that many players have "experienced" intonation problems only after visiting guitar forums and seeing all the posts about intonation, how to check it, how to correct it, etc.. Then they buy themselves a high-end tuner and drive themselves crazy trying to get their guitar to intonate perfectly, WHICH IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. There are zillions of guitars that don't have adjustable bridge saddles, or even any bridge compensation, yet play perfectly fine.

Seems to me that the neck needs to be shimmed for the proper angle, which is less drastic than grinding hardware.

Actually, it was pretty simple - just gently levered the bushings out using the stud, held them against a bench grinder for a few seconds and tapped them back in with a mallet. Whole operation took maybe 20 minutes and is completely reversible, just need a couple new cheapo bushings, or continue to use the modified ones. Shimming the neck decouples the neck from the body which will reduce sustain although we are talking about a $129 bolt-on neck guitar (MSRP), so not a big deal either way.

If I had only one mod I could make to that guit, it would be to replace those awful factory tuners - they should ban those crappy things from all Epis. Then I'd replace that god-awful stock humbucker with a Gibson P94 or something like it from GFS. Practically any decent humbucker-shaped pickup would be better....the set-neck '57 reissue has Grovers and a real P-90 stock. The final list of mods done on the bolt-on was:

- Replaced knobs (Chicken-head type)

- Replaced tuners (Schaller knock-offs)

- Replaced pickup (Gotoh Dimarzio humbucker knock-off)

- Replaced nut (Graphtech)

- Replaced tone cap (Orange Drop)

- Filed flush and reshaped fret ends

It was a pretty decent budget banger when it was all done...

Just my $.02

Okay, maybe I should back up a bit here. The real problem is I can't get it in tune. I have had a few guitars, but this one just sounds out of tune when you strum a chord. I had a set-up done and the tech said that's the best it will get. Then checked on some forums and it was suggested I change the nut. I talked to a guy who works at GC, but has his own thing going working on guitars on the side. He took a look at it and said no need to change the nut. He liked the guitar and just said basically what the other guy said..."it's not going to get any better." Now I might be hard-headed, and maybe just giving up on this and getting something more expensive is the answer. But, I just like this for it's single pickup (put a Pearly Gates in it). So maybe I'm using the wrong lingo to explain the problem by saying the intonation is off, but I thought it's almost one and the same issue.

Okay, maybe I should back up a bit here. The real problem is I can't get it in tune. I have had a few guitars, but this one just sounds out of tune when you strum a chord. I had a set-up done and the tech said that's the best it will get. Then checked on some forums and it was suggested I change the nut. I talked to a guy who works at GC, but has his own thing going working on guitars on the side. He took a look at it and said no need to change the nut. He liked the guitar and just said basically what the other guy said..."it's not going to get any better." Now I might be hard-headed, and maybe just giving up on this and getting something more expensive is the answer. But, I just like this for it's single pickup (put a Pearly Gates in it). So maybe I'm using the wrong lingo to explain the problem by saying the intonation is off, but I thought it's almost one and the same issue.

It very well could be that the nut slots are cut too high. That will foul up your intonation no matter what bridge you put on it.

Check the DIY pages for nut height procedures. I wouldn't give up on it yet either.

Another thought - if the cheap plastic nut that it came with was put on tilted forwards, or the slots are not cut properly (strings don't break right at the end of the fretboard) that could screw with your intonation too.

I do know that these wraparound bridge guitars can intonate properly - my '57 RI is as close to dead nuts on as any of my Tune-O-Matic bridge guitars. Many jazz guitars have a fixed / compensated bridge and can be made to sound nearly perfect, so it's not an impossible task to get that guit in playable condition on the cheap. Keep at it...

Take a look at this link, there are various options for replacing the wraparound bridge for something that is going to sort out your intonation problems, and not leave the string height far too high.

replacement wraparound link

that Stewmac Pigtail looks like it could be the best option.

I looked at most of those bridges when I was upgrading that Junior, but they all cost almost as much or more than the $73 I paid for entire guit. I think I finally settled on the Leo Quan because it was $25.

I still think the cheap plastic nut should be addressed, then worry about the bridge. If done correctly, it won't need a wound G, modified bridge bushings, or a $100 adjustable wraparound.

http://projectguitar...tut/nuthigh.htm

http://www.ehow.com/...nut-guitar.html

I looked at most of those bridges when I was upgrading that Junior, but they all cost almost as much or more than the $73 I paid for entire guit. I think I finally settled on the Leo Quan because it was $25.

I still think the cheap plastic nut should be addressed, then worry about the bridge. If done correctly, it won't need a wound G, modified bridge bushings, or a $100 adjustable wraparound.

http://projectguitar...tut/nuthigh.htm

http://www.ehow.com/...nut-guitar.html

+1 i agree that the nut should be looked at first.

The 2009 Epi Jr I bought a little while back has the same issue. If you play in the first 7 frets it's not too bad but as you go farther up the neck the "a" string tuning gets way off. I changed the tailpiece on my '02 Jr with an older Gibby unit and it's really close. I have an old Leo Quann Bad *** that I'm going to put on it, after shimming the neck.

Archived