Gibson Brands Forums

Would You Return This LesPaul

Chris540

Hello all,

My lifelong dream of owning a Lespaul came true today!

I just received my Les Paul Traditional DB today.

When i first took it out of the case i noticed one the tone knobs was placed kind of off center making it wobble as it turns.

It looks like it might be cracked in the center where it meets the shaft.

Upon playing it for the first time i noticed some rough "scratches" in the side of the body.

You can feel the depth of the scratch with your fingernail.

Now i really started looking with a critical eye.

I found another rough spot on the very corner of the cut away.

I am really quite disappointed.

I expect a guitar of this price and prestige to be reflected in the quality of workmanship.

Now, I must say that the guitar is otherwise beautiful and plays and sounds wonderful.

I'm really bummed that after waiting 20 years for this guitar that i might have to return it.

I'm going to try and post some pics.

Thanks, Chris540

5079613786_12fafbddc7.jpg

ScratchedFinish by debbiehogsett, on Flickr

5079615170_ee430beda9.jpg

Scratch2 by debbiehogsett, on Flickr

5079618060_274e5eddd4.jpg

CrackedKnob by debbiehogsett, on Flickr

Yes I would return it. Those rough areas can almost certainly be buffed out to perfection, but if the tone knob has taken a hit it could possibly be damaged or the shaft bent, so replacing the knob alone might still leave you with a problem. If you bought it new it should be perfect and you should not have to take it for repair work.

I doubt those bruises were there prior to shipping. The knob can be replaced, and those finish issues can be addressed easily. If you like the guitar, then call the Customer Service team and have me or one of the guys set up an RMA for you. If you want to go for a different guitar altogether then your best choice is to return it to the dealer. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hey all,

I guess i owe FennRx 10 bucks :)

I did order the guitar from MF.

I'm really torn as to what to do. I just spent some time jamming on it and just plays so good.

I definitely do not want to take a chance on a different guitar that might not play as well.

Gonna have to think about sending it to gibson.

Thanks for all the replys.

Chris540

Hey all,

I guess i owe FennRx 10 bucks :)

I did order the guitar from MF.

I'm really torn as to what to do. I just spent some time jamming on it and just plays so good.

I definitely do not want to take a chance on a different guitar that might not play as well.

Gonna have to think about sending it to gibson.

Thanks for all the replys.

Chris540

if you love the way it sounds and it THE guitar, then I would call MF and complain and see if they'll comp you anything. Otherwise, send that mofo back. GC/MF has a long history of not taking care of their guitars, as well as shipping returned/damaged guitars as new. They did it to me a few years ago and I washed my hands of them.

I HIGHLY recommend Sweetwater and Centre City Music. if you call the latter, ask for Saul. He will make you a helluva deal. In fact, he can probably get you a 1958 Reissue for about the same price that MF will charge you for a USA Standard.

Unless they opened the case and put the marks there, I don't see how that kind of finish damage could have occurred during shipping, unless there was something inside the case for the upper bout and cutaway horn to rub on. definitely send it back, unless you really like the top/feel, in which case you would want to get in touch with Gibson. Of course, every time you ship it that increases the chances of having more shipping damage.

Unless they opened the case and put the marks there, I don't see how that kind of finish damage could have occurred during shipping, unless there was something inside the case for the upper bout and cutaway horn to rub on. definitely send it back, unless you really like the top/feel, in which case you would want to get in touch with Gibson. Of course, every time you ship it that increases the chances of having more shipping damage.

someone probably returned it and then they just shipped it out to the next guy. they did it to me...the guitar i ordered was advertised as brand new, not a blem, and the wood near the nut was eroding away and the back had the beginning of bucklerash. it was sad.

someone probably returned it and then they just shipped it out to the next guy. they did it to me...the guitar i ordered was advertised as brand new, not a blem, and the wood near the nut was eroding away and the back had the beginning of bucklerash. it was sad.

I'd believe it. I did get a 'scratch n' dent' SG Standard from AMS, and honestly I haven't found the scratch yet. However in this case MF should have had their returns dept inspect the guitar, and return it to the factory if need be, or sell it as a blem. It's sad but they probably figured that most people would just "deal with it".

Hello All,

I have decided to send it back to MF.

When I was packing the guitar up i noticed a plastic bag in the bottom of the box.

I was able to get it out and realized the case was supposed to be in this bag when i opened up the guitar. It was not.

Im gonna guess that FennRX might be right about being a returned guitar.

Bummed,

Chri540

Hello All,

I have decided to send it back to MF.

When I was packing the guitar up i noticed a plastic bag in the bottom of the box.

I was able to get it out and realized the case was supposed to be in this bag when i opened up the guitar. It was not.

Im gonna guess that FennRX might be right about being a returned guitar.

Bummed,

Chri540

good for you chris. send it back and buy from another vendor. Sweetwater has excellent customer service. i strongly recommend contacting http://www.ccitymusic.com/

I hope everything works out for you. Just curious. Do you have a Gibson dealer near you?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Gibson dealer near me. The closest one is a guitar center about 3 hours drive and they did not have any Traditionals in stock when i ordered mine. Trust me, I hate having to resort to ordering a guitar. I would much rather play one before purchace and support my local music stores.

Chris540

that does suck. but saul will take care of you. all the guys at LPF and MLP buy their Historics, Signatures and special runs from him. He'll send you tons of pics of the guitar as well as let you listen to it over the phone, which is better than just clicking a website. Saul will make sure you're happy.

Bummer. Kind of takes the fun out of a new guitar. I had a similar experience with my std. trad. plus. Mine was new in the box and still in the plastic bag. I opened it up at Guitar Center in front of the sales person. Looked gorgeous. We were both beaming over it. Then I noticed a rough spot like yours. Mine was on the lower inside horn. I pointed it out to my sales person. He asked what I would like done about it. I had already got the price down to $1,950 before that. I tossed out how about another $150 off. He went and asked. Came back and said he could sell it to me for $1,850. Otherwise, they would just send it back. I took it and buffed it out myself.

I was actually stunned at the lack of QC, since it was my first Gibson too. The mystic of owning a Gibosn vanished for me at that moment. It's a great guitar and I love how it feels and sounds. However, my Epi's actually had better out of the box finishes. Granted, Epi's parts and materials are different; their QC has impressed more. Especially after seeing pictures of the one your sending back.

I think it's a trend in America. I struggle to get good service and quality work. This ranges from geting new tires installed, to the new roof I had put on, to getting the dishwasher repaired. No one seems to care anymore about their work. If they would start making them like they were going to own them, maybe quality would improve. i.e., if it was their home, their car, their guitar - you better believe they would do a good job on it.

Good for you on returning it. I would too. Just think of it this way, now you'll have another "New Guitar Day" to look forward to and brag about on the forum. Of course, pictures will be a must.

Sweetwater is good advice. Also First Quality Music would be another choice. Ordered my Classic Antique from them back in 2007, they were awesome, e-mailed me several pictures before it shipped and installed the strap locks for me also.

that does suck. but saul will take care of you. all the guys at LPF and MLP buy their Historics, Signatures and special runs from him. He'll send you tons of pics of the guitar as well as let you listen to it over the phone, which is better than just clicking a website. Saul will make sure you're happy.

I echo Fenn's comments. Saul is a great guy, and he will look over the guitar before sending it to you. Plus, he gets his hands on some nice and rare guitars. I would give him a call.

Archived