Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Les Paul for a Beginner ?

#1 User is offline   h4zE 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:43 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm from Germany and I started playing western guitar for 2 years now.
I enjoyed it very much and now I wanted to start with an e-guitar.

I can't explain how I became a fan of gibson guitars and especially the Les Paul and Firebird models but they have a great design, sound etc. Played by so much top musicans so they can't be bad ;-)

But here's my question:

What kind of Les Paul you could commend for me as a beginner ?
(I don't want an Epiphone model ..I want the Original but maybe you could satisfy me / i know that epiphone models are mauch cheaper than gibson models..but that should not be the point)

Thanks for your help,

David

#2 User is offline   Versatile 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

Guten Tag...welcome to the forums!!
IMO a good way to start is either with a Les Paul Studio or a Les Paul Junior....and also choosing a good amp to go with it
Good Luck !! [thumbup]

:-({|=
Fiddling at the Pearly Gates
or somewhere
Lower and Warmer....

I like kayaking....it really floats my boat

I dig most stuff.......Anon(gardener)

#3 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

Hello David! Get a nice Les Paul Studio. Great guitar for the price! For amp, find a nice DDR-made Böhm-Regent 30 or 30H and restore it. They are cheap as water and sound better than any today's full-tube amp in 800 EUR range...Believe me, I've got a few. Don't pay a fortune for chinese-made "big brand" amps.

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#4 User is offline   jmg257 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

I would recommend a Gibson Traditional. Old school electronics, binding, 57 classics - great guitars that should keep you proud and happy for a long time. I felt the same way you do about LPs - the looks the sound the feel...my 1st electric was an Ebony Traditional and it was awesome!! And you've been playing for 2 years, so no reason to skimp simply because you 'are a beginner'. Its alot more fun & interesting learning on good gear you are proud to own!
Life's too short to settle...

#5 User is offline   Xinnix 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

Get the best Gibson LP you can afford! I'd suggest a used one because you can get more for you money.
The better it is the more you will.... Play it, Love it, and won't be thinking you have to sell it for a better one someday!

#6 User is offline   LPguitarman 

• RUSH Fan
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

View PostXinnix, on 14 October 2010 - 09:41 AM, said:

Get the best Gibson LP you can afford! I'd suggest a used one because you can get more for you money.
The better it is the more you will.... Play it, Love it, and won't be thinking you have to sell it for a better one someday!

+1 If you're really serious and love Les Pauls, and can afford a good one, then a Studio will always make you want something better. Studio's are nice, but you will look at it and see a beautiful Standard, Classic Antique, Classic or Traditional etc... and want to trade up later. So get the frills now and enjoy.
Posted Image
<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guitars:

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique GOW#2
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC Acoustic/Electric

Pedals:

Original Cry Baby Wah
Morley Power Wah Boost
DOD Stereo Chorus
BOSS DD-3 Delay
DOD Flanger
MXR 6-Band Equalizer
BOSS Acoustic Simulator
BOSS Chromatic Tuner
BOSS Compression / Sustainer
DOD Grunge
MXR EVH Phase 90
Original Voice Box
(2) Pedal Boards to hold it all (1) SKB & (1) Boss

Amp:

50 Watt Peavey Classic VT Series 2x12 w/ Scorpion speakers

#7 User is offline   Awfers 

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

View PostLPguitarman, on 14 October 2010 - 10:04 AM, said:

+1 If you're really serious and love Les Pauls, and can afford a good one, then a Studio will always make you want something better. Studio's are nice, but you will look at it and see a beautiful Standard, Classic Antique, Classic or Traditional etc... and want to trade up later. So get the frills now and enjoy.

+2... This is what I ended up doing...
--------------------

2009 Les Paul BFG Gary Moore (FANTASTIC!)
2008 Framus Renegade Pro
Coxx SD Standard

#8 User is offline   Yaff 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

+3

Beginner or not, but the LP that feels and sounds best to you! If you are on a limited budget, then the Studio range represent fantastic value. If you can go up to a Standard or Traditional, to me, they are the optimum LP. If money is no object, then I suggest you look at the an 1958/1959 reissue (R8 or R9), as they offer something extra special.

My first LP was a Studio Worn Brown, quickly followed by and 08 Standard. Love them both, but the Standard gets most of my play.

Also consider a good valve amp like the Orange TT or Marshall Class 5. The amp is as important as the guitar, as it the combination of the two that makes your tone.

All the best

Studio
Posted Image
Standard
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   T Bone 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

View PostYaff, on 17 October 2010 - 11:53 AM, said:

+3

Beginner or not, but the LP that feels and sounds best to you! If you are on a limited budget, then the Studio range represent fantastic value. If you can go up to a Standard or Traditional, to me, they are the optimum LP. If money is no object, then I suggest you look at the an 1958/1959 reissue (R8 or R9), as they offer something extra special.

My first LP was a Studio Worn Brown, quickly followed by and 08 Standard. Love them both, but the Standard gets most of my play.

Also consider a good valve amp like the Orange TT or Marshall Class 5. The amp is as important as the guitar, as it the combination of the two that makes your tone.

All the best

Studio
Posted Image
Standard
Posted Image

This is well stated. I'll add that at two years playing, you're not really a beginner (not that it matters either way).

I'd concentrate on what features you want in the guitar (would you prefer a fat 50's style neck, or a slim 60's type), what pickups (or what tonal characteristics) do you prefer? If price is not an object, I also suggest a Custom Shop Reissue model. Definitely get the best guitar you can reasonably afford.
Regards, T Bone.

Guitars:
2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique
2009 Gibson Robot Les Paul Jr. Special
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Honey Burst (Pre-Flood)
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Gold Top
2011 Gibson 1960s Tribute SG Special
2008 Fender Stratocaster American Vintage '62
2007 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2007 Fender Eric Clapton Signature Series Stratocaster
2012 Fender Classic 60s Player Stratocaster
2011 Fender Classic 50s Player Stratocaster
2008 Fender Road Worn 60s Stratocaster
2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2008 Fender Classic Series 50s Stratocaster
2012 Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster
2010 Eastwood Airline Map Guitar
1990 Martin J40M BK
1935 National Duolian

#10 User is offline   hotrod128z 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

The best Les Paul for you is the best that you can find for yourself. If you are interested in the Junior then find the one that you love the best, if you are interested in a Standard then find the one that you love best, same for Custom, DC's, etc. Year of manufacturing and models, neck sizes, etc. do not matter nearly as much as finding the one that you feel fits your hands like it was made for you and the sound comes out that you want to hear in your ears. Find the one that feels the best for you, the one that fits you like a glove and the one that you are the absolute most fascinated with. The reason that I say this is because it will always influence you to pick it up and play as much as you possibly can and will inspire you to perform your music to your up most abilities. Trust me, find that one Les Paul that you are 1000% truely in love with. The one that you think about right before you go to sleep, and when you awake you just can't wait to play it, day in and day out. You will never regret it. Same goes for a good amp. Find the one that when you play through it it is just the exact sound that you and only you are looking for.

hotrod

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users