Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul for a Beginner ?

h4zE

Hi Folks,

I'm from Germany and I started playing western guitar for 2 years now.

I enjoyed it very much and now I wanted to start with an e-guitar.

I can't explain how I became a fan of gibson guitars and especially the Les Paul and Firebird models but they have a great design, sound etc. Played by so much top musicans so they can't be bad ;-)

But here's my question:

What kind of Les Paul you could commend for me as a beginner ?

(I don't want an Epiphone model ..I want the Original but maybe you could satisfy me / i know that epiphone models are mauch cheaper than gibson models..but that should not be the point)

Thanks for your help,

David

Hello David! Get a nice Les Paul Studio. Great guitar for the price! For amp, find a nice DDR-made Böhm-Regent 30 or 30H and restore it. They are cheap as water and sound better than any today's full-tube amp in 800 EUR range...Believe me, I've got a few. Don't pay a fortune for chinese-made "big brand" amps.

I would recommend a Gibson Traditional. Old school electronics, binding, 57 classics - great guitars that should keep you proud and happy for a long time. I felt the same way you do about LPs - the looks the sound the feel...my 1st electric was an Ebony Traditional and it was awesome!! And you've been playing for 2 years, so no reason to skimp simply because you 'are a beginner'. Its alot more fun & interesting learning on good gear you are proud to own!

Get the best Gibson LP you can afford! I'd suggest a used one because you can get more for you money.

The better it is the more you will.... Play it, Love it, and won't be thinking you have to sell it for a better one someday!

+1 If you're really serious and love Les Pauls, and can afford a good one, then a Studio will always make you want something better. Studio's are nice, but you will look at it and see a beautiful Standard, Classic Antique, Classic or Traditional etc... and want to trade up later. So get the frills now and enjoy.

+1 If you're really serious and love Les Pauls, and can afford a good one, then a Studio will always make you want something better. Studio's are nice, but you will look at it and see a beautiful Standard, Classic Antique, Classic or Traditional etc... and want to trade up later. So get the frills now and enjoy.

+2... This is what I ended up doing...

+3

Beginner or not, but the LP that feels and sounds best to you! If you are on a limited budget, then the Studio range represent fantastic value. If you can go up to a Standard or Traditional, to me, they are the optimum LP. If money is no object, then I suggest you look at the an 1958/1959 reissue (R8 or R9), as they offer something extra special.

My first LP was a Studio Worn Brown, quickly followed by and 08 Standard. Love them both, but the Standard gets most of my play.

Also consider a good valve amp like the Orange TT or Marshall Class 5. The amp is as important as the guitar, as it the combination of the two that makes your tone.

All the best

Studio

IMG_2912-1.jpg

Standard

013.jpg

+3

Beginner or not, but the LP that feels and sounds best to you! If you are on a limited budget, then the Studio range represent fantastic value. If you can go up to a Standard or Traditional, to me, they are the optimum LP. If money is no object, then I suggest you look at the an 1958/1959 reissue (R8 or R9), as they offer something extra special.

My first LP was a Studio Worn Brown, quickly followed by and 08 Standard. Love them both, but the Standard gets most of my play.

Also consider a good valve amp like the Orange TT or Marshall Class 5. The amp is as important as the guitar, as it the combination of the two that makes your tone.

All the best

Studio

IMG_2912-1.jpg

Standard

013.jpg

This is well stated. I'll add that at two years playing, you're not really a beginner (not that it matters either way).

I'd concentrate on what features you want in the guitar (would you prefer a fat 50's style neck, or a slim 60's type), what pickups (or what tonal characteristics) do you prefer? If price is not an object, I also suggest a Custom Shop Reissue model. Definitely get the best guitar you can reasonably afford.

The best Les Paul for you is the best that you can find for yourself. If you are interested in the Junior then find the one that you love the best, if you are interested in a Standard then find the one that you love best, same for Custom, DC's, etc. Year of manufacturing and models, neck sizes, etc. do not matter nearly as much as finding the one that you feel fits your hands like it was made for you and the sound comes out that you want to hear in your ears. Find the one that feels the best for you, the one that fits you like a glove and the one that you are the absolute most fascinated with. The reason that I say this is because it will always influence you to pick it up and play as much as you possibly can and will inspire you to perform your music to your up most abilities. Trust me, find that one Les Paul that you are 1000% truely in love with. The one that you think about right before you go to sleep, and when you awake you just can't wait to play it, day in and day out. You will never regret it. Same goes for a good amp. Find the one that when you play through it it is just the exact sound that you and only you are looking for.

hotrod

Archived