Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage

Navajo Chief

I wanted to bring up this old thread to correct a misconception I had about my SJTV. It is red spruce topped and not sitka. This does not affect whether I like it more or less. :)

It came to light while I was talking with Jeremy at Gibson, and specifically regarding SJTV's in general. They are pretty much all red spruce.

... It came to light while I was talking with Jeremy at Gibson, and specifically regarding SJTV's in general. They are pretty much all red spruce.

That's really odd. The Gibson website listed sitka in the specs. In fact the currently listed SJs, one of which is a Wildwood New Vintage (basically a shiny TV), both list sitka tops. My TV top looks like sitka to me.

I think Gibson did this to get people who wanted an adi SJ to layout extra cash for a Sheryl Crow SJ, which specs an adi top.

@EA - I switched mine -

2012SouthernJumbo9m_zps5c9313f0.jpg

Jeremy said I could send him a picture, and he could tell. So did Scott Engle at Russo's. I havent yet. Maybe I will next week; I suppose it dont matter really! I just would like to know that when I say "I really love the sound of my sitka top better than red spruce tops I have played" that I am not talking out my arse! But I suppose the important thing is that I just love the sound.

Jeremy said I could send him a picture, and he could tell. So did Scott Engle at Russo's. I havent yet. Maybe I will next week; I suppose it dont matter really! I just would like to know that when I say "I really love the sound of my sitka top better than red spruce tops I have played" that I am not talking out my arse! But I suppose the important thing is that I just love the sound.

The simple straight-forward answer is... its Pine.

I haven't had a chance to try one yet ,but if it's anything like my J-45 TV it will be an

incredible guitar.

Just a "For what it's worth" comment since the thread is active again.My J45 TV is definitely Adirondack (Red) Spruce.

That's really odd. The Gibson website listed sitka in the specs. In fact the currently listed SJs, one of which is a Wildwood New Vintage (basically a shiny TV), both list sitka tops. My TV top looks like sitka to me.

I think Gibson did this to get people who wanted an adi SJ to layout extra cash for a Sheryl Crow SJ, which specs an adi top.

@EA - I switched mine -

2012SouthernJumbo9m_zps5c9313f0.jpg

Everything I've ever seen written states that the SJTV has a sitka top and the J45TV has the adi, but I'm no expert!

@BK--I hope Sal doesn't mind me hijacking this thread a bit, but I was wondering if the process of changing out to the ivory butter bean gears involved drilling any new holes or did the new ones fit into the existing holes left by the keystones? Also did you buy yours through Stew Mac or someone else?

Everything I've ever seen written states that the SJTV has a sitka top and the J45TV has the adi, but I'm no expert!

@BK--I hope Sal doesn't mind me hijacking this thread a bit, but I was wondering if the process of changing out to the ivory butter bean gears involved drilling any new holes or did the new ones fit into the existing holes left by the keystones? Also did you buy yours through Stew Mac or someone else?

Never mind, BK. I found your answers on this old thread:http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/104963-vintage-tulips-to-vintage-white-buttons-update/page__p__1418617__hl__southern+jumbo+tuners__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1418617

Thanks!

Yep, Gotoh Vintage White Button tuners is what I used. The factory originals were Gotoh Vintage Keystone tuners. I see Boyd's doesn't have them in stock. They're kind of hard to find, but I picked them for ease of installation - a perfectly fit swap, to the point that I didn't have to swap the bushings. Also, I dyed the white buttons to match the aged tone binding on the SJTV - used a tan/orange Sharpie and rubbed off the excess.

TanSharpie_zps18e4d4f9.jpg

Yep, Gotoh Vintage White Button tuners is what I used. The factory originals were Gotoh Vintage Keystone tuners. I see Boyd's doesn't have them in stock. They're kind of hard to find, but I picked them for ease of installation - a perfectly fit swap, to the point that I didn't have to swap the bushings. Also, I dyed the white buttons to match the aged tone binding on the SJTV - used a tan/orange Sharpie and rubbed off the excess.

TanSharpie_zps18e4d4f9.jpg

Cool! It looks like they are available on this page (second row on the far right): http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_3+3gotoh.htm, in case anyone is looking.

Archived